Morgan L. Texas

All Lives Matter

Not everyone knows both sides to the Black Lives Matter movement.

Dear future President of the United States,

Imagine a world where everyone respected the police officers. A world where everyone was informed about the topics they speak about. Now envision a world where everyone, including the police and regular civilians, felt safe and didn’t have to worry about sudden, violent protests. In worlds mentioned above, movements such as the Black Lives Matter movement could have been prevented. I believe your policies should end the Black Lives Matter movement because it causes others’ lives and property to be put in danger, blacks are being portrayed as innocent when some should be proven guilty, and most black deaths are caused by other blacks and a fraction of the whole is from the police.

The Black Lives Matter movement has caused many conflicts. Within those conflicts, violent protests have been created by numerous amounts of members of the movement. These protests have caused police to be put in danger, along with other innocent civilians and their property. “In Oakland, protesters vandalized a police station with red paint and spray-painted streets, also stopping traffic on an interstate, during which protesters climbed atop a stalled semitrailer. Others lit a bonfire on the freeway.” (Russell) Because of these protests, people that don’t care to be involved in the BLM movement are being forced to become a part of it because of their lives being put at risk. Although ignoring the subject seems to be an option, we are not in control of the protesters and can’t stop them from burning public buildings and vandalizing property that does not belong to them.

One major detail of this topic, is that most uninformed people are not aware that in most cases, the black teenager either is armed and/or threatening the officer’s life. The majority of the people believe that the police are being racist and are shooting without reason, while most of the time the people are incorrect. “At least five black victims had reportedly tried to grab the officer’s gun, or had been beating the cop with his own equipment. Some were shot from an accidental discharge triggered by their own assault on the officer. And two individuals included in the Post’s “unarmed black victims” category were struck by stray bullets aimed at someone else in justified cop shootings. If the victims were not the intended targets, then racism could have played no role in their deaths.” (Bandler) The people including themselves in the BLM movement are presented as biased in my opinion, because they can argue about the police firing their weapon, but avoid to mention how the black teenagers are the one starting the fire. In addition, the police are being accused of being racist. When in reality, they are using self defence when their lives are being put on the line. “An unidentified 24-year-old black male officer chased after Smith. During the chase, Smith pulled out a stolen pistol that was fully loaded with stolen ammunition, and Smith raised the pistol to the officer. The officer ordered Smith to drop the gun and shot when he did not comply.” (Blue)

Most people supporting the Black Lives Matter movement will say that there is an unreasonable amount of black deaths caused by the police, when most black deaths are caused by black people. I believe that the black community shouldn’t be bashing on whites/the police for causing their deaths when they don’t take the time to acknowledge all of the murders and crimes their own people have committed. “When all homicides of black males are considered, black males are 35 times more likely to be murdered by another black male and 21 times more susceptible to being killed in self-defense, justifiable homicide than killed by any police use of force.” (Martinelli) Although some deaths could have been the fault of the police, a large fraction of the amount of deaths of blacks are people belonging to their own community. In addition to black-on-black crime, if a black gets shot by a police, most of the time it is because they caused the police man/woman to feel the need to take out a weapon for self defense.

In conclusion, I believe that some of your policies should be aimed toward stopping this biased, and somewhat violent movement. Without the BLM movement, we could put the worry, regarding the danger of others’ lives and property being put at risk, away. If the BLM movement were to have never taken place to begin with, we wouldn’t have to argue with others about if the black teens were armed or threatening the life of another. In addition, if we could put a sudden halt to this stirring, we would all be aware that only a minimal fraction of black deaths are caused by police (in most cases being forced to use self defense). Hopefully in the future, with the help of your policies, we can all learn to respect the police and all races to end this abhorrent act.

Morgan Losabia

Bandler, Aaron. "5 Statistics You Need To Know About Cops Killing Blacks." Daily Wire. N.p., 07 July 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Blue, Officer. "Bodycam Shows Black Milwaukee Officer Shot Suspect Who Was Raising Gun." Blue Lives Matter. N.p., 14 Aug. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Martinelli, Ron. "Black Lives Matter Statistics and Damn Lies." Blue Lives Matter. N.p., 12 Oct. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Russell, Nicole. "Black Lives Matter's Violence Undermines Its Credibility." The Federalist. N.p., 12 July 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.