Lauren G. Wisconsin

LGBTQ+ Rights

I'm writing about how everyone needs to be treated equally.

The LGBTQ+ community gets a lot of hate and discrimination daily, and that needs to stop. People are being killed, fired from their homes, and evicted from their homes because of who they are. They end up living a terrible life just because they are being themselves.

The Orlando Shooting is a big example of a hate crime against the LGBTQ+ community. The shooting was an attack that caused 49 deaths and left 53 wounded. ISIS was the one who planned and carried out the plan. ISIS uses gay as an abusive term and that's why the targeted the gay nightclub. The name of the nightclub was the Pulse, and it was one of the most popular gay nightclubs in Orlando. That's why they are targeted. 

LGBTQ+ people are being discriminated a lot in the workplace. They legally can get married, but are fired for getting married to the partner they want. 10% of 662 LGBTQ+ workers have been fired because of their sexual orientation. 26% of 6,450 transgender people have been fired because they want to be who they actually are. These people are being discriminated because of who they actually are. 

LGBTQ+ students in the UK are very worried about their safety while at school. More than 1/3 (37%) of LGBTQ+ students are worried about hate crimes as a result of the sexual orientation. Last year that number was 19%. A quarter (23%) of LGBTQ+ students worry about being subjected to hate crimes at work because of their sexuality. A year ago that number was 11%.  Homophobic hate crimes have risen 147% in three months. 45% of LGBTQ+ students are faced challenges with their mental health compared to the 22% of straight and cisgender students. 60% of LGBTQ+ students have witnessed bullying because of their sexual orientation. LGBTQ+ students are really worried about their safety while at school.

Overall, LGBTQ+ people have been through alot and that needs to change. People need to be treated equal. They can't keep living like this. Please help all of us in the LGBTQ+ community and give us our human rights back to be who we are. 

Thank you so much,

Lauren G.

Bulman,May. Fear of LGBT hate crimes surges 95% among university students. Independent Digital News and Media, Independent Digital News and Media, October 20, 2016, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/lgbt-gay-trans-hate-crimes-rise- university-students-homophobia-transphobia-stats-a7372161.html

Ellis,Ralph. Frontz,Ashley. McLaughlin, Eliott C. Karimi, Faith. Orlando Shooting: 49 killed, Shooter pledged ISIS allegiance. CNN, Cable News Network, June 13,2016,www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting. 

Isidore,Chris. How businesses can still discriminate against LGBT people. CNN, Cable News Network, June 26,2015, http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/26/news/companies/lgbt-discrimination/