Simon C. New Jersey

Environmental Issues

This essay combines the issues that are current, and why they need to be payed more attention to. By contributing more money to the environment, these issues can be resolved, if not improved.

Simon Cardenas

RLA

Dear Mr/Mrs. President

Humans, and all living things, made up out of the environment, and formed by nature. We are the people that we are because of the things around us. The beautiful trees bursting out of the ground, the glowing green grass that welcomes us and many creatures to it’s kindness, and many many other things. Every single day our creations and damaging of the earth is slowly destroying what we love. Ourselves. We humans are part of this environment. So are we slowly destroying ourselves, and the many animals, plants, fish, and living things out there? The only to way to maintain this pristine beauty that is called Earth, is to find complex or even simple ways to reverse our wrongdoings. This is only able to become reality with time and money. I strongly believe that the mandatory spending in the U.S. to the environment rises to at least 5%.

Climate change is one of the main things that the U.S. mandatory spending needs to be focusing more on. This is because climate change affects animals and humans all around the world. In recent times the amount of pollution and the destruction of the ozone layer of the earth has been significantly increasing.

” Taken as a whole, the range of published evidence indicates that the net damage costs of climate change are likely to be significant and to increase over time.”

- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

This quote is stating that if action is not being placed in time, the amount of damage will become larger and larger over the years. Some of these things that could become a bigger problem over time can include a swelling population, mass migration to cities, the increasing amount of energy use, and the soaring amounts of carbon dioxide emissions. Action needs to be taken.

Pollution is also affecting what we are breathing in everyday. I am sure that no one wants to be breathing in garbage every single day of their lives, and especially all because of a little greed. WorldWildLife claims that just like climate change, the substances that are causing poisonous effects are affecting the air we breathe. There is a constant presence of these things. Dosomething.org also states that pollution is one of the biggest global killers, affecting over 100 million people. Its comparable to global diseases like malaria and HIV. Because there are so many reliable sources, and not just the ones included, I can almost confirm that pollution needs much more attention to it then it has now.

Some may counter to this by stating that we need the money to be used in the places they are now. More and more money shouldn't be taken from science, housing, transportation, government, education, etc. Knowing this may be true, I can counter once again by stating that without clean air, a good environment, or even homes for other animals that contribute to society, what is the point of even spending money on anything else. You would most likely be dead without the things we have now. Oxygen for our lungs, clean food, and clean water to drink. Another counterargument that may come to mind is “Where is this money going to come from? The United States already has a big enough debt as it is. My answer to this is to cut small amount of the mandatory coming from other categories that may not need it as much as what our environment needs. Spending more money on the environment will equal more productivity within all people, and help the depletion of resources.

By contributing more and more money to environmental issues, it will help our problem of environmental degradation. What environmental degradation is, is the depletion of sources, as stated in the paragraph above. Some of these resources being affected include air, water, and soil. It is the deterioration of the environment. By contributing more and more money to the issues of the environment, these resources that our lives depend on, could be used in a wiser way.

“In a few decades, the relationship between the environment, resources, and conflict may seem almost as obvious as the connection we see today between human rights, democracy, and peace.” Wangari Maathai summarizes the most important problem that exists today. Our focus for things that don't necessarily lead to happiness in life, and it has been completely distracting us from what matters most. The environment. None of the things we have now would be possible without the help of the environment. We humans need to keep changing and improving as people, and that isn't possible without the environment. Without the environment. Just think about that. So are we really destroying ourselves?

A concerned citizen,

Simon

Brielle Elementary

Eighth Grade Citizens

The students in the eighth grade who wished to post their letters are featured here. Students worked for several weeks in both Social Studies and Language Arts classes, crafting their arguments. They participated in Penpal Schools Decision 2016 as well as Media Literacy Week.