luke s. California

Pro-Choice

The topic of abortion has always been controversial and let this be the year that we let women make the decision for themselves and not have to worry about harassment from Pro-Life supporters .

The topic of abortion has always been a controversial topic. When brought up, the argument usually stems from religious beliefs suggesting that aborting an unborn child is murder. According to Wikipedia, an abortion is; “...the ending of pregnancy by removing a fetus or embryo before it can survive outside the uterus.” I for one am Pro-Choice and believe every woman has the right to make the decision for themselves. With opposite views Pro-Life believers think abortions should be illegal no matter the circumstances. It makes me wonder if they ever consider rape cases, unwanted pregnancy, teenage pregnancies with the physical and emotional damage they’ll have to suffer. If this nation really is free, all woman should have the right to make the decision for themselves and not have to worry about the government's consent.

Pro-Choice supporters believe women deserve the right of privacy and the choice of being able to to have the control of her own body. For example; a girl gets raped and in turn gets pregnant, she chooses to have an abortion because she can’t deal with having the child of her rapist. Pro-Life supporters would now label her as a murderer.

Abortions have led to women getting harassed because of the choice she has made for her own body. This is called anti-abortion violence; Wikipedia describes it as “violence committed against individuals and organizations that provide abortion.” Extreme Pro-Life supporters have stalked, threatened, and have killed women who have made the decision to get an abortion. Nurses and doctors that provide the procedure have also been attacked and killed by Pro-Life supporters.

Pro-choice supports the young girl that loses her virginity and becomes pregnant because she wasn’t fully aware of the consequences. Situations like these where the girl keeping the child could result in her getting kicked out of her home, she’d be unable to support the baby, and she could lose her education. With abortion she would not have to deal with these problems, although she would have to deal with the emotional pain of deciding to terminate the pregnancy. Pro-choice supports the idea that ultimately it was her choice to do what she wanted with her body. The results of the experience for this girl would be social maturity, rather than a state of repression.

Web MIT, a Pro-choice website, has stated that ”About 14,000 women get abortions following incest or rape and it is estimated that 43% of women worldwide will have an abortion by the time they are 45 years old”. Pro-life supporters can be ignorant to the reasons why many women choose to make the decision they do. It is clear abortion should remain legal; it can often be the best situation for the people that have to make that tough decision. Pro-choice defends and protects the people, it is ultimately the woman’s life that would be affected and no one else’s, who would the government be to take that away from us the people? We live in a country based on freedoms, and women have and should continue to have the freedom to that choice.

Newbury Park High School

IB Lang & Lit HL 1 - Period 3A (Lilly)

Newbury Park's period 3A IB Lang & Lit course