Miles L. Texas

Free College Education

Reasons to make college free

Dear Mr or Madam President of The United States Of America,

Free College Education is a very big topic now in 2016, and you, being a candidate `

for this election, have probably already discussed it a lot. This is why, Mr or Madam President, in the first hundred days of your presidency, you need to sign a bill into law that will decrease tuition for college education. College is very important and if more people could afford it, our unemployment rate could be lowered. Furthermore, better-educated workforce would help fill many of the skills gaps that prevent America's economy from growing faster.

If there was a solution to lowering our unemployment rate, wouldn’t you use it?

If college was a little more affordable we could significantly lower our overall unemployment rate. A man wants to go to college but he can't afford it and all of his jobs require it, that makes him give up and decide not to work. Now he discovers that the price for college has been significantly decreased or just gotten rid of. Now we have just successfully decreased the unemployment rate by one, others will soon catch on and that will decrease it eventually. According to this article the price has increased a lot since 1978, “The cost of attending a four-year college has increased by 1,122 percent since 1978. Galloping tuition hikes have made attending college more expensive today than at any point in U.S. history.” - The American Prospect, Keith Ellison

Some might say that college tuition pay should stay the same, I guess we could but then we wouldn't improve anything, because we would have the same old unemployment rate and the economy would just not be as good as it could be. “Other studies show that there is no better short-term or long-term investment for the rest of society than higher education. For example, one study shows that new spending on public colleges, which would be sparked by an influx of more students, produces more economic activity than a similar-sized tax cut, or similar spending on roads and bridges.” - NEA

Furthermore, if college was more affordable more people could afford it,so that would make more go to college, making a better-educated workforce that would help fill many of the skills gaps that prevent America's economy from growing faster. “Why aren’t more people going to college? One obvious answer would be cost, especially the cost of tuition. But the problem isn’t just that college is expensive. It is also that going to college is complicated. It takes cultural and social, not just economic, capital. It means navigating advanced courses, standardized tests, forms. It means figuring out implicit rules—rules that can change.”-Dissent.

Thank you very much Mr or Madam President I hope you take my letter into consideration, and sign a bill into law that will create new college system that could help you in your time as president, if more people could afford college our unemployment rate could be lowered also, a better-educated workforce would help fill many of the skills gaps that prevent America's economy from growing faster.

Sincerely- Miles Laubenstein

Ellison, By Keith. "The Argument for Tuition-Free College." The American Prospect. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Oct. 2016.

"It's Time to Push for Free College." Rss. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Oct. 2016.

@dissentmag. "Why Free College Is Necessary | Dissent Magazine." Dissent Magazine. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Oct. 2016.