Aviahna H. Georgia

Saving the Animals

Animals should not be used for testing.

Dear Mrs. or Mr. President,

Think about all the animals used in science experiments, ever wonder what happened to the failed antidotes that didn’t work? “Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.” This quote by Albert Einstein states that animals should be as respected as people are. After all animals are living things too, this is why animals shouldn't be used for testing.

We sometimes forget that animals play a part in our lives, even if we aren’t interacting with them on a day to day basis. So when we hear that animals are being mistreated many people don’t pay attention to this, little do they know this can impact their lives greatly. The USDA (US Department of Agriculture) reported that 97,173 animals suffered in pain from experiments done on them. Putting these animals in pain and suffering is just wrong, there are others choices we can make. I’m positive there are simpler and less time consuming methods to saving lives, other than risking others.

A quote from Aston University states something lots of people might not know. It said “It's very hard to create animal models that equate closely to what we’re trying to achieve in the human.” There are other ways to save lives, vitro testing is one of them. In Vitro testing you study cell structures in petri dishes, it produces more relevant results than using animals. They can do tests on the human cells they use and no one gets hurt if the antidote doesn’t work. This doesn’t turn out the same way when you use animals to test the antidote though. This is what we can do to solve this problem, encourage scientists and others to use other methods. It would be better for everyone and reduce the number of animals killed.

We already have problems with people abandoning and mistreating animals. We litter and don’think about our choices. If you do this we can make a huge difference, don’t do it for our country do it for the world.

Aviahna H.