CD Louisiana

This letter explains my opinions and beliefs on gun control in America

Many Americans today believe that guns should be banned overall. On the other hand I believe that stripping Americans of their right to bear arms is unconstitutional. I do believe background checks should become stricter to where only qualified registers should have the ability to carry a firearm.

Without guns, individuals and families will not be capable of defending themselves in case of an emergency. The National Rifle Association claims that guns are used for self defense 2.5 times a year. On the other hand, Procon.org argues that guns are rarely used in self defense. For example, “ Of the 29,618,300 violent crimes committed between 2007 and 2011, 0.79% of victims (235,700) protected themselves with a threat of use or use of a firearm, the least-employed protective behavior.” Imagine being one of the 235,700 victims who used a firearm as self defense. If they had not used the firearm, they might not be here today.

I believe it would not be safe to remove all guns because criminals can, and will, always find a way to get control o

f a firearm. It would also not be fair if civilians didn't have the right to own a firearm but the government and police department would be able to carry one.

These factors of gun control show my opinions on why firearms should not be banned. Americans have one less way to defend ourselves without firearms. Therefore, we should have to right to own one.

CD

Lusher Charter School

3B

English IH