Fatuma I. Minnesota

Syrian Refugee Crisis

The Syrian Refugee crisis is a serious humanitarian crisis and the US needs to accept more refugees.

We need to accept more syrian refugees into the US. According to the UN around 250,000 people have been killed and 13.5 million people are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance inside Syria. That’s too many people dead. We need to do something about this crisis. We need to accept more refugees into the US.

The first step is before accepting the refugees is to find space for them to stay. We need a shelter to put them in until they can find a job and live in their own. Some may say that the US has already accepted too many refugees but we haven’t accepted enough there are still refugees trying to come to the US and they are dying on the journey. We need to help them.

The second step is after they arrive put them in a shelter and make sure they feel safe. Some of the refugees might be scared and worried so they should be given interpreters to help them. They also should be given vaccines and they need to get check ups too. According to the mercy crops Almost 5 million Syrians have registered or are awaiting registration with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, which is leading the regional emergency response.

The final step is after they have been here for a while they can be on their own and get jobs and they won’t need help anymore. According to the The New Yorker 64.3 percent of the syrian refugees that already in the US are unemployed. This is not good the refugees need to be employed. They just want to contribute to the economy.

Sincerely Fatuma Ibrahim

10th grade

Eagan, MN