Madison Arkansas

Insurance and Health Care

The most important issues to me are Insurance rates and how difficult it is for people to get health care. Everyone should be able to get the help they need even if they are poor.

My name is Madison and I think that insurance rates and health care prices are the main issues with today's government. Just because someone is poor or is not able to support themselves doesn't mean we forget about them and make it impossible for them to get any health care or insurance. To be honest, the under privileged people are the ones who need the financial aid the most. Yes these people do need to try working and get help themselves, but the government needs to make it possible for them to get aid if they need it. 

My family is an example of how hard it is to get these types of financial aid. My mom is disabled and the government made her wait two years to get Medicare, which is a type of health care insurance. A person on disability should not have to wait two years to get Medicare because in this two year period this person has no health insurance, so they have to pay for all doctor visits and medicine. If a person is poor and very ill, and they actually do need health care, it is impossible for them to get it because there are so many stipulations to get accepted. There should be a simple health care plan that could cost very little to nothing because these people deserve and truly need it. There are so many qualifications to get accepted by plans like Obamacare and Medicaid that most people can't even get accepted. Its such a big hassle to sign up for a health care plan and then hope you get accepted, then try and find a doctor that will help you. Once these simple free plans are created doctors will accept these simple health care plans and the poor people can get help for little to no cost. A recent report by Kaiser/HRET Employer Health Benefits forecasts that the average family health care plan will cost eighteen thousand, one hundred and forty-two dollars, up about three percent from 2015. That's faster than wage growth. Medical care cost altogether rose one percent just in August from July, according to the Consumer Price Index (CNN Money).

People are always saying that we have to many citizens that live on the streets and don't work, well they cant work if they are sick and they can't get better if the prices are high to go to the doctor. Everyone gets ill from time to time, so make it easy for people to get better and get there lives back on track. I believe making this simple health care plan and reducing cost of insurance would reduce the amount of homeless people by a tremendous amount. Just going to the hospital is high in price nowadays that even people that aren't necessarily poor have trouble paying there hospital bill. I know there are hospitals that take whatever the persons insurance will pay, but these people who live on the streets cant even get or afford insurance. Insurance premiums are rising and making it difficult for everyone to get good insurance, so poor people are really struggling. Based on insurer rate requests, the cost of the second-lowest silver plan in these cities will increase by a weighted average of 9% in 2017. Last year, premiums for the second-lowest silver plans in these areas increased 2% following review by state insurance departments. There is substantial variation across markets, with premium changes for second-lowest silver plans ranging from a drop of 13% to an increase of 25%. Premiums for 2017 are still preliminary and could be raised or lowered through these states’ rate review processes (Health Reform).

In conclusion, the health care and insurance needs to be more affordable and easier to get. If the government would produce a simple cheap health care plan that anyone could obtain, the amount of homeless sick people would reduce and this world would be a better place.

Madison Reed 

Searcy High School

Ms. Simpson's PAP American History Class

Searcy High School Searcy, AR