gabriella Connecticut

Standardized Testing

Standardized testing hurts students more than it helps them.

Standardized tests have become too much of a crucial part of a student's life. Their future is starting to depend on the score of one test, which is just not right. There are multiple factors that prove how standardized testing is not a good way to tell a child's true intelligence.

Standardized testing takes place on just one day and does not take into account any other factors that could potentially hinder a student's score. A lot of students do not perform well on tests, even if they are intelligent and understand the content being asked. All this pressure caused by standardized tests can cause students to develop test anxiety, which can interfere with their ability to take the test and their score. These tests require the skill of test taking, not actual knowledge, and how to apply it to real life situations.

The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, administered by George W. Bush, requires all public schools receiving federal funding to administer a statewide standardized test annually to all students. Not only does this put a lot of stress on students, but it also puts a lot of stress on teachers. It causes them to just teach how to take tests and not real life skills. This defeats the purpose of education for students, because they are being taught memorization skills, and how to answer specific questions, not how to think and apply their knowledge. These tests cannot measure important qualities such as critical thinking, creativity, motivation, persistence, and leadership, all very important qualities needed to be successful in college and life.

Standardized testing is not an accurate portrayal of a student's knowledge, and therefore should not be required. Children need to be taught more important things other than just test taking skills to make them a well rounded person. It is hurting students more than it is helping them, and I hope that you can see that after reading this letter.