Matthew S. Colorado

fracking

how fracking should be considered a problem

Dear Madam/Mr President:

Since I started high school I have heard many things about fracking. Both how it is bad and how it is good. With how it's bad considering how much damage to the environment is caused by fracking. Then it is good because it mines natural resources of oil and gas. Even with the part of more energy sources the bad outweighs the good. Therefore there should be change in how fracking is controlled in the states and the locations.

I bring this up because there are many people that are concerned about fracking in their cities and states. These people are worried about how fracking involves injecting wastewater into the ground which can get into ancient faults and loosen them causing an Earthquake to happen. This is caused by how much pressure is behind the faults that is suddenly released when the faults move when the water lubricates them. This is the biggest problem in Oklahoma from fracking since they are so keen on injecting wastewater. Seeing how people think about this problem I think that it would be a good idea to look at it. This is so that people will be happier and wonโ€™t complain about how fracking is done.

Therefore my idea on how to fix it is when the sites are going to inject wastewater they should sonar the ground to find if there is any ancient faults that might be affected in the process. I hope you see this letter and consider looking into the problem.

Matthew S. 

Wheat Ridge HS

Composition for the College Bound English

Twelfth graders in Colorado