Annabella P. West Virginia

The Arts Funding

Funding in the arts are always being cut throughout the country.

Funding in the arts are always being cut throughout the country. The budget cuts for these programs affect many people in the school community. Teacher may be laid off and students won't have an outlet other than the basic courses. The cutbacks in the schools has students going without the necessary tools in the learning process. Without these tools students won't be well rounded.”New brain research shows that not only does music improve skills in math and reading, but it promotes creativity, social development, personality adjustment, and self-worth.” (dosomething.org)

In grade school and high school there should always be an outlet for kids to express themselves, whether it's with music, a sport or visual art. “Students who study art are four times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement and three times more likely to be rewarded for school attendance” (dosomething.org) Though it is shown that the arts help improve a student's academic skills it's still threatened to be cut and shown as unimportant.

The arts help with the learning process. “Arts and music education programs mandatory in countries that rank consistently among the highest for math and science test scores, like Japan, Hungary, and the Netherlands.” (dosomething.org)In my school the arts are very important and have great funding and I feel that all other school should have the opportunity that the students here have.