Amya West Virginia

Police Reform

This is about recent police brutality reports.

Police brutality is becoming more and more common. It’s truly upsetting. Families are losing their brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, grandmas, grandpas, cousins, and friends. Why do these police shoot? Police are shooting and killing for minor situations. Racial profiling has a lot to do with it.

Mostly blacks are the victims of police brutality in America. This is a topic that needs to be discussed and put to an end. I feel that discriminating against people because of their race is extremely stupid and it needs to be ended. It’s almost 2017! When society can't trust the police who are supposed to protect and serve this country, it's a major problem. We need you future president, to help this issue.

Some of those killed by police these recent years have been unarmed. So why are these officers shooting to kill? There’s other ways to handle situations. Why can’t they tase the victim or shoot to wound? It’s ridiculous. The problem is that police seem to think that they can do whatever they want, which shouldn’t be allowed. They need laws set for them. They shouldn’t be able to shoot someone just like that. Police brutality led people to start the group by the name of “Black Lives Matter “and the need to start marching in the streets.

Suggestions to help this issue is make video recorders in the squad car and recorders on their suits. My second suggestions is make every police officer in the U.S be trained a new way, and they should have to be retrained this way to keep their badge. The idea of policemen having better training and knowledge is so that they have a better understanding on what to do in certain situations and how to do it.

No one deserves to die for having an issue with their car, selling items, or other minor things. Most of the people who died lately died for unjust reasons. It’s sad. Many police officers are getting away with it. It’s also sad that blacks are being targeted all over again. Race should not matter at all. We, blacks, shouldn’t be scared to go out or be scared of the police. My mom tells me every day to drive safe and talks to me about if I ever get into an encounter with the police to do everything they say. Mothers shouldn’t have to worry, black people shouldn’t have to worry. No one should. This issue needs fixed. Every life matters!

Amya Davis