Alex G. New Hampshire

Media and Body Image

With all the unrealistic ideas the media is portraying, it has become harmful and in some cases deadly and we need to do something about it.

According to DoSomething.org ninety-one perecent of women are unhappy with their bodies and resort to dieting to achieve it, but only five perecent of women naturally possess the body often portrayed in the media. Also more than forty percent of women and twenty percent of men said they would consider cosmetic surgery. Ninety-five percent of people with eating disorders are from twelve to twenty-five years old. Also in an article by CNN teens are reportedly on technology nine hours a day. Plus we see as many as five-thousand advertisments a day according to Walker Smith. According to modelingadvice.com the average weight for a model is from one-hundred-eight pounds to one-hundred-thirty pounds. With teens being on media nine hours a day and the average model being unrealistically thin, we need to change. With all the unrealistic ideas the media is portraying, it has become harmful and in some cases deadly and we need to do something about it.

I believe as our next president you should work toward a goal of changing the perfect body image’s picture. Not everyone has to be thin to be beautiful. It is important that we change this because it’s becoming harmful to the new generation. We should work towards putting more plus sized women in the media. We want bodies people can relate to, not unrealistic almost six foot tall super thin models. Only five percent of people can relate to them. My hopes would be for eating disorders to be diminished and for teen self esteem to be through the roof. With all those things we would truly be living in a healthier society.

Not just size do we have to worry about, if you are older than twenty and still have not made it in the modeling industry it is over according to modelingadvice.com. Also most models are from thirteen years old to nineteen years old according to modelingadvice.com. There is also photoshop. One-hundred perecent of images in fashion magazines are retouched according to idealbite.com.The media is portraying youth is the most beautiful as well as your size. A solution to this would be to ban photoshop in media. Also to force modeling companies to accept people for their modeling skills, not their bodies. The more people can relate to the media, the more they will accept themselves. Also we should have a disclaimer to any editing done to pictures.

Hopefully once we take action eating disorders will have dimininshed, as well as the modeling industry revolutionized. Photoshop will be a thing of the past and self-esteems will be up. Teens will be happy and there will be no need for cosmetic sugeries. This will take time, but every good conclusion takes time.

Alexander

Exeter High School

Exeter High School Freshman English

Ms. Catcher's CP Freshman English classes take a stand on what subjects are most important to them this election. These classes include periods 1, 2, and 3.