James New Hampshire

Why gun control doesn't work

Guns are a topic that I am passionate about and I know others who are as well. The Right and Left have very different opinions on how to deal with guns. The Right typically believes that we should keep our Second Amendment, and that the government has no right to tell the people how and where to use your guns. The Left typically believes that without guns, with heavy gun control restrictions, the level of shootings would decrease, and criminals would apologize and hand over their firearms. Gun Control has been used in other states and countries and hasn’t worked.

Gun control has been heavily used in Chicago because of their crime rates. According to one of USA Today’s articles published on April 1st 2016, “Chicago's murder rate soars 72% in 2016; shootings up more than 88%”. When it comes to restricting and taking away guns, you are only restricting and limiting the law abiding citizens, because criminals, by definition, ignore the laws. According to Jason L. Riley, who wrote in the Wall Street Journal, “Another fundamental problem with the left’s approach to gun violence is that legislation proposed by Democrats tend to target weapons that aren’t used in most shootings”. By the end of the day it is important to realize that gun control hasn’t worked in Chicago.

Some people look towards other countries to use as a role model for guns, which is just not smart. France is another wonderful example of how gun control has failed people. France has been a target for terror for a while, and recently there was a terror attack that ISIS has claimed responsibility for. ISIS targeted six locations to attack and they killed over 130, and wounded hundreds more. France is one of the toughest gun control countries in the world, and that left hundreds of french citizens helpless while ISIS attacked on November 13th, 2016. Had there been one gun in that situation, many people could have been saved.

So Mr. Trump, I would, and so many other people in this country that value the Second Amendment, would appreciate it if you listened to the questions that the Left leaves unanswered and/or ignore, and we would also appreciate it if you would take our thoughts into consideration.

James.

Exeter High School

Exeter High School Freshman English

Ms. Catcher's CP Freshman English classes take a stand on what subjects are most important to them this election. These classes include periods 1, 2, and 3.