Sidney S. Indiana

Funding Research, Find Cures

Examining why medical research needs better funding.

Dear Mr. President,

Our scientific research and technology has always been some of the most advanced in the world. While some countries are trying to solve problems with the simple necessities, we are worrying about the new iPhone update. However, we are very competitive with more developed countries, such as the Soviet Union in the race to space. We were able to put the first man on the moon. This was an achievement in the 1950’s, what are we doing now?

Currently one of the main goals across the world is finding remedies for non-curable diseases. In the United States, roughly 1,500 citizens lose their lives to cancer daily. Think of the 1,500 families that are affected every day. My family and I were one of these victims. I was not able to meet my Grandmother Glenda, but I know I wish I could. She was an amazing woman who died from colon cancer before I was born. It makes me wonder, could she be living today, if we had extended our research limits and increased our federal spending to scientific research.

In the past many controversial methods of research were banned, but through the years some of these have been lifted. Although, restrictions come with the opened research, including in embryonic stem cell research. Embryonic stem cell research can only be privately funded and not federally. This research could have tremendous results in the United States, but funding, like most objectives, is an issue. Research is very expensive and time consuming. Therefore private funds are nearly impossible to raise the right amount.

On average in federal spending, the government of the U.S. gives an estimate of 1% ($30 million) to science. This is fairly low compared to how costly these diseases and hospital bills can be. This amount of money should be raised. Many do not realize how much scientific research could aid us medically.

As a young adult, I really can’t make much of a difference myself. So this is why I reach out to you. This maybe a subject that many do not think about, but its results are limitless. If this research is increased, there is definitely a higher chance of a cure, medication, or “fix” to be found. If a cure is found, think of how many lives would be saved and families would be reunited. In my case, how many granddaughters would be able to meet their grandmothers.

Sidney