Vishnu Y. Wisconsin

Renewable Energy

We need to switch to renewable energy sources and sway away from fossil fuels.

Dear Mr/ Madam President, 

Think about a world where more than 20,000 Americans die from air pollution every year. That world is actually reality. One of the most important issues in the world today is the overuse of fossil fuels. In order to combat the serious problem of overusing fossil fuels, we need to switch to more renewable energy sources. By switching to renewable energy sources, we will reduce air pollution substantially and create a lot more jobs in the energy sector. 

One of the most harmful effects of overusing fossil fuels is air pollution. One byproduct of all fossil fuel combustion are called nitrogen oxide emissions.  These emissions can cause acid rain and smog, which "can burn lung tissue and can make people more susceptible to asthma, bronchitis, and other chronic respiratory diseases." These conditions can easily be prevented by just switching over to more renewable energy. Another harmful effect of air pollution are soot emissions, these soot emissions can cause chronic bronchitis, aggravated asthma, and elevated occurrence of premature death. These conditions can also be easily prevented by switching to more renewable energy. Every year, thousands of Americans die from these easily prevented conditions and billions of dollars are spent on treating these conditions. Clearly, we should switch over to more renewable energy. 

One beneficial effect of switching over to renewable energy is that it creates a lot more jobs for workers. In 2011, the solar industry employed approximately 100,000 people on a part-time or full-time basis. Just think of how many jobs would be created when more renewable energy facilities are built. Renewable energy also keep money circulating in the local economy and in states that have more renewable energy sources, they need to spend less on on importing coal and natural gas from other places. So, it is clear that renewable energy will create more jobs. 

Although, some people believe that renewable energy is unreliable because it relies heavily upon the weather for sources of supply like rain, wind, and sunshine. However, this claim doesn't make a lot of sense because fossil fuels are going to run out someday and they will take a long time to come back. Renewable energy sources are basically infinite because the wind or sunshine won't run out. So, fossil fuels are more unreliable than renewable energy sources because they will run out far sooner than sunlight or wind. 

In conclusion, if the US changes its energy production to more renewable energy, than the US will create a tremendous amount of jobs that will benefit a lot of Americans and it will also lower air pollution which will make Americans live longer and save money on pollution related health concerns. Clearly, switching to more renewable energy will be a big benefit to America. 

Sun Prairie High School

AP Lang and Comp 2

Advanced Placement Language and Composition students.