Brittany Louisiana

National Anthem Protest

This essay is a discussion of how the National Anthem Protest has affected everyday people.

Today in America throughout the country, even in my own hometown, there has been a number of times that people have kneeled or locked arms during the National Anthem instead of placing their hand over their heart. Many people can be/are affected by it. In my opinion, this is highly disrespectful and shows no respect to veterans and the ones fighting now. Not much action has been taken for it, but that needs to change. These people should receive a disciplinary act for not showing the respect that National Anthem deserves. To the ones who have lost loved ones, it is uncomfortable and disappointing to see people being selfish. How would you feel if you fought in a war to serve your country and give these people the freedom they have, and see someone kneeling?

Nick Wagoner, the San Francisco 49ers reporter for ESPN's NFL Nation, reported on October 2, 2016 that these people kneeled during the National Anthem before the matchup against the Cowboys: Colin Kaepernick, quarterback; Eric Reid, safety; and Eli Harold, linebacker. He also stated that safeties Jaquiski Tartt and Antoine Bethea and cornerbacks Rashard Robinson and Keith Reaser also again raised their right fists during the anthem. According to Jaweed Kaleem of Los Angeles Times, "African American athletes have long grappled with complicated feelings about patriotism as they represent a country that many say hasn't always fully embraced them." Basically what Kaleem is saying is that these athletes are protesting because they feel as if people are not treating them equally. In some cases, not everyone is treated equally but that is what this country as one needs to work on. It shouldn't matter if you are pink, blue, red, yellow, green; a person is a person no matter the cause, so you shouldn't feel as if you aren't important.

In my hometown at a football game, while the National Anthem was played, a couple of players kneeled, and a few cheerleaders locked arms. A picture of that was taken on Snapchat and posted with a disgusting caption that read "my boys (an offensive term) that anthem" for the world to see. A veteran who was at the game, witnessed this and got up and left. He later posted on Facebook about how that made him feel. As a veteran, he probably felt humiliated and disappointed that people in general would have the nerve to do such a thing to the National Anthem. Now since these athletes don't have a reason as to why, I would guess that they are trying to receive attention. Everyone has their own reasons for doing something though.

If I was a coach for any team, any sport, and my players were to kneel or sit, I would be upset with them, but I would encourage them to stand and remember what the song is really about. Many of these people are not doing it for protest, but simply to be Twitter famous or to just receive attention from others. Yes, people do have a right to protest because their are racial issues in our country that need honest discussion and attention, but kneeling for the National Anthem is not the type of protest because they dishonor veterans. This situation is becoming out of hand, and if nothing is done about it and people continue to do it, that just shows where the United States will be in the future. 

Cedar Creek School

Cedar Creek School

Student writers submit letters on issues they care about.