Jason B. Louisiana

The problems of Student Loan Debt

The future president should lower or adjust student loans, so the new generation can live a happier life.

“I never had the high-paying job or the company car. It took me over a decade to pay off my student loans I never had to worry about where to dock my yacht to reduce my taxes.” Christine O’Donnell, a well-known Republican,is like many other Americans who have problems with student loan debt after college.  To begin, the total student loan debt is over 1.2 trillion dollars. Over the past ten years, the money students have to pay to get into college has nearly doubled since. I think that you, our next president, can help students with ridiculously large debts and lower “a staggering $1.2 trillion” that “is bleeding student's dry” according to USAtoday. This incredibly large amount needs to be lessened or it will continue to rise. As of now, the student loan debts are “the only type of consumer debt not decreasing” so if we do nothing, it will just continue to increase over time.  Although I am only in sixth grade, as a fellow American, this concerns me because I do not want to have enormous student loans after college. I would like to start a life. When you are finally elected, I want you to address this problem and try to pay or lessen student loan debt. Additionally, some people that have to deal with college loans will not have enough money after college to buy other things. Normally, in the process of paying off college debt people would slowly pay a little bit at a time, but if they do not get those monthly fees, then they will fall back on the payments. A result of these payments are “you may have trouble getting an auto loan, renting an apartment, or even getting a job.” This presents many problems because without these things, it will be hard to live a good life, especially since “ the government will often stop at nothing to collect on student debt.” Eventually, if enough goes wrong with someone’s student loan debt it could eventually affect their retirement plans. If this debt, is left unpaid, it could potentially ruin someone. The amount of debt could completely change anything he/she does including other loans. Lastly, the effect of one person’s college debt can hurt more than just that loan debt. It can cause that person to be sued, and end up with not just the original payment but also the cost of a lawsuit. Though, the list of “the burdens of student debt, however, extend far beyond just the borrowers, implicating education, occupations, spending, and the economy.” If the borrower still has to pay this first debt back then it may be difficult if he/she want to go to another educational facility and pay for that. Business owners may not hire someone if he/she have a bad record in their loans. If he/she has debts then he/she will first have to worry about paying for those and won’t be able to buy what he/she want. Ultimately, this country needs to lessen student loan debt, so our generation of today can live good life.

Once again, Mr./Mrs. President, I think you should use your power to decrease the amount of money students have to pay on their loans. I believe that through you, America’s education can be available to all people, and that citizens who are not able to afford to go to a good college can use loans to afford them and still be able to pay the loans back. When I get older and I am in college, I would like all of my friends and I to be able to live a life where student loans will not affect everything we do.

Jason Brown

Patrick F. Taylor Science & Technology Academy

Gifted English Grades 6&7

Gifted English writers of Patrick F. Taylor Academy.