Margaret T.

Abortion should be seen for the hideous crime that it is and therefore be made illegal in the United States. There are other solutions to unplanned pregnancy!

Dear Mr. or Mrs. Future President,

I personally believe that a large percentage of people in this country do not understand the gravity of abortion. In our American criminal justice system, taking the life of another human being is an extremely serious offense that is punishable by life in prison or possibly even by the death penalty. Thinking logically and reasonably, abortion and murder are virtually the same crime, only committed against the victim during a different stage of his or her life. I ask you to ponder this simple question for just a moment: why should ending the life of an innocent, voiceless being before birth be taken any more lightly than murdering any other living child or adult?

Looking at abortion from a practical, real world standpoint, some may argue that it is the only rational solution to unplanned teenage pregnancy; however, this flimsy attempt to justify a such a heartless act fails to persuade me when there are so many other sensible solutions available. For example, giving birth to the baby and then putting him or her up for adoption would be a much more moral path than abortion. In this day in age, it is nearly impossible to adopt an infant in the United States or in any other country, yet there are countless couples in our country who cannot conceive a child of their own for a variety of reasons and desperately desire to have children. In fact, there are up to 36 couples waiting for every one baby placed for adoption, but in the United States alone, over 125,000 babies are aborted each day.

Every single citizen of The United States has a set of basic human rights clearly written out in the Constitution. As anyone running for The Presidential Office should already know, among these unalienable rights is the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Ending perfectly immaculate, pure, and innocent American citizen’s existence on this planet before he or she has the chance to make something of it completely defeats the purpose that our Founding Fathers wrote these basic human rights for in the first place. The responsibility of the government is to protect rights such as these that are given to every single one of us by our Creator. It is not our place to say when life should be taken away; it is a precious gift that is only ours to cherish and protect for the short time that we have it.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, Margaret T.