Asad J. Texas

Make College Free, Once and for All

Persuasive Letter to Make College Free for All

Dear Mr./Madam President,

Imagine all the citizens of the United States going to college for free, regardless of how much money they have. The payoff would be immense. The workforce of America would be easily the greatest in the world. We as a nation can accomplish that if college is free. The burden of student loans hampering the civilians across America would cease to exist. Sign a bill into law that makes free college tuition because the workforce of America would significantly improve to become the greatest in the world. Another reason to sign a bill into law to make free college education is that the citizens of America wouldn’t be saddled with student loan debt they can’t pay.

Attaining a bachelor’s degree straight out of high school makes you very valuable to companies seeking a dynamic person. If every citizen residing in the United States went to college, the United States would become the most educated and globally competitive country in the world. The top 3 universities in the world are all proud American institutions: Harvard University, Stanford University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Currently, America ranks 5th in the list of the most educated and hard-working countries in the world. If someone has a high level of education, they get paid more. And if someone is paid more, they do their work more diligently, resulting in an assiduous group of people.

Today, the average American citizen has about $30,000 of student loan debt after leaving college. Most Americans make roughly $50,000 a year. A plethora of the money goes toward mortgage and paying bills, which seldom leaves room for paying off student loans. In fact, it usually takes about 21 years to pay off the total debt! Frankly, I don’t think anyone would want that to continue. This is why it is absolutely imperative for college to be free. An abundance of money is wasted every year paying filthy rich universities, while that money should be used for setting a foundation for a citizen’s career and profession. However, even though it is necessary for student loans to become extinct, some people argue that taxes will be increased on citizens. This may be true, but without student loans, people would be financially comfortable to pay the taxes. Their salary would be much higher with a college education, and it would be much easier to pay higher taxes than to continue to pay off student loans for 20-plus years.

These reasons illustrated above show why college must be free. The labor force of America would transform into the finest in the world, and no American citizen would be shouldered with the burden of student loan debt. You are now the President. The power is in your hands. Together, let’s revolutionize the workforce of America. Together, let’s have the citizens of America have no hardships of student loans. Together, let’s make college free.

US News. U.S.News & World Report. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

@Best_Schools. "The 100 Best Universities in the World Today | The Best Schools." The Best Schools. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Bernie Sanders: Make College Free for All." Washington Post. The Washington Post. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

By Robert Reich / RobertReich.org. "Robert Reich: Bernie Sanders Is Right-We Need Free College for All." Alternet. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Household Income in the United States." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"The Institute For College Access and Success." State by State Data. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"On the Issues: It's Time to Make College Tuition Free and Debt Free." Bernie Sanders RSS. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Cedar Valley Middle School

Ms. Collins' students

These are the wonderful ideas of my 8th grade students and their advice to the next President of the United States.