Colin O. Texas

Free College For All

Unemployment rates are increasing because not enough people are going to college.

Dear Future President of the United States,

I would like to congratulate you on your recent win.Winning could not have been easy task,I'm sure that having a college education helped you on your campaign.The issue that I want to discuss with you is a free college.If more people could go to college then unemployment rate would go down,The number of wealthy would increase and push America's economy higher,and it gives everyone a fair and equal chance at a good and successful life.

If more people could afford to go to college than unemployment rates would be lower. A study done by Bureau of Labor Statistics showed that “in 2015 unemployment rates of those with a high school diploma or less was 13.4%. Also those with who went to college but never finished was another 5%.”(Bureau Labor)Which means that 18.4% of people could not go to college. This 18.4% did not go to college for whatever reason but I feel if college were to be free this percentage could be lowered because more people could afford to go.The study also showed that people who graduated with a bachelor degree had an unemployment rate of 2.8%. “An extensive body of research has argued that obtaining a college diploma is a good deal for graduates on almost any measure,from higher earnings to lower unemployment rates” (Debate).By the same token, those without a college degree can find their upward mobility in the job market limited by a lack of educational credentials.

If more people were able to go to college for free then that would mean that the number of wealthy people would increase and there would be a big boom in the economy.If college was free a higher standard of living would be possible and a bigger boom in economy; an example is the 1950s the standard of living was increased and we saw a thriving economy.More people would be getting their degrees and joining the workforce.Meaning that more people would be paying their taxes for other good causes to support our country.A Statistic shows that “If you don't complete high school, you can anticipate earning the least amount of any of the education levels. In 2011, a worker without a high school degree earned an average of $451 per week, this educational group earned a median annual salary of $21,000.”(Chron) An associate's degree, typically a two-year degree, gives a more significant boost to your earning power, averaging $768 per week in 2011. Even with the Associates degree Earning $768 a week would not be enough to support a growing family.

Having Free college would be a good idea because it gives everyone an equal and fair chance at a successful life full of opportunities.Even though it’s been said that everyone has an equal chance from the beginning,but it’s not always that way.Some people have more of a disadvantage from the beginning,like if there family is poor then even if the kids have the skill and potential to go to high level colleges and succeed,but they don’t and they choose the more lower level colleges because it’s affordable.Another thing to think about is that “As of the 2013-2014 school year, the countries like Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Norway, the Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey, and Germany have college-free public higher education (at the bachelor's and master's degree levels).”(Redd) So if other Countries have already started,why don’t we.Let's get a start to a free college society.

Thank you Mr.President for taking the time to listen to me.I hope that that you will make it your mission to have free colleges all over the US so that the number of wealthy would increase,that our economy would see a boom,and that there is a fair chance for all to go to college for as long they work hard for it.

Sincerely

Colin Otubanjo.

Works Cited:

Redd, Luke. "Should College Be Free? Pros, Cons, and Alternatives." Should College Be Free? Pros, Cons, and Alternatives. N.p., 19 Oct. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

By the Way, High School and College Follow a Completely Different System and Shouldn't Be Compared. I'm Positive the More Serious Students in a College Will Out-way the Goofballs, Making the Goofballs a Step Closer to Becoming Serious Students. "Should College Education Be Free?" The Premier Online Debate Website. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016

By Educational Attainment: 1995-2009U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Education Pays... "The Average Salary Without a College Degree." Work. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Nov. 2016

"The Rising Cost of Not Going to College." Pew Research Centers Social Demographic Trends Project RSS. N.p., 11 Feb. 2014. Web. 05 Nov. 2016.