Shawn A. Texas

Free College Tuition

Students are constantly in debt and constantly worried about their financial status because of college tuition.

Dear Future President of the United States,

Imagine a world where no one had to pay for college and all their debt was payed off. Imagine not having to constantly worry about your financial issues caused by college. Many people argue free college tuition would cause many problems. However, I believe it should be provided and paid for by the United States government and will help students focus more on their goal and not be in so much debt.

These days, college students are constantly in debt trying to pay for college.” You’ve probably heard the statistics: Americans owe nearly $1.3 trillion in student loan debt, spread out among about 44 million borrowers. In fact, the average Class of 2016 graduate has $37,172 in student loan debt, up six percent from last year” (Debt Statistics) With about 44.2 million Americans that have student loan debt, the amount of money we owe is outrageous. If colleges were free the $1.3 trillion in student loan debt we owe would be reduced a lot. Most students can’t afford college and have to pay it off over time or just can’t get the money to pay it off at all.

One idea is that the federal government could help pay for colleges. Some people may say it would be way too expensive for the federal government and could cause even more debt. However, this would be a great investment and part of the taxes we pay could go towards the college payment. This would be a great investment because it is helping us out greatly and would greatly benefit many families financially. “While taxpayers would carry the burden initially, government support of a college education can help eliminate the need for welfare. It can also help reduce the levels of family or class-related poverty. Children of college graduates typically attend college. The average family cannot afford the constantly rising cost of college unless the parents themselves are college graduates.” (Government Help) The money being spent would give many kids who can not afford school a chance, which a lot deserve. These students could end up becoming very successful in their future. Although those who could not afford school they wouldn't be able to become what they would have if they were given free education.

Many kids get outstanding grades but they can’t afford college. Kids like these deserve to go to a good college and if they do they will end up working a great job. Just because a student does can not pay for college shouldn’t mean they can’t go and be successful and get through college. “The survey results, released early Wednesday, show that only 17% of Americans overall believe they can cover the expense of college for themselves or a family member.” (83% of Americans) This means that about 83% of students can cover the college cost. If students don’t have to worry about their economic difficulties, they will be able to focus much more on school and end up getting better grades.

In conclusion, I believe students should be able to receive free college education across the united states. Going to college is very important and leads to the future of your life. Students will not have to worry about their student loan debt and be able to focus on school much more. Some kids who can’t afford college could end up being our most successful people in the future. Although this plan would take awhile to implement, it will greatly benefit financial situations and give many people opportunities they would have never had.

Citations

"83% of Americans Say They Can't Afford College: Edward Jones Poll." 83% of Americans Say They Can't Afford College: Edward Jones Poll. N.p., 13 May 2015. Web. 05 Nov. 2016

"U.S. Student Loan Debt Statistics for 2016 | Student Loan Hero." Student Loan Hero. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Nov. 2016.

Long, ByHeather. "Should Governments Help Pay for College." LoveToKnow. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Nov. 2016.