Tiana P. Texas

Free College Education

Dear Future President, College is on top of almost every student’s mind as they finish high school. Many have imagined themselves walking up on a stage and accepting their college diploma, but not everyone has the opportunity to do that. College these days is very expensive, and not everyone can afford it. There are thousands of people in the country who can’t finish their education because they have to support their family. According to berniesanders.com, in the United States, over 41 percent of people don’t go to college or drop out because of high costs. It is very important for this issue to be strongly looked at because without education, people can’t get jobs to support their family and keep a roof over their heads. With a strong, educated workforce, we can keep the unemployment rate low. Even though the government covers about 23 percent of public college tuitions, it would help a lot more to people who still can’t afford it if the government would cover more. As the number of students choosing to go to college increases, financial aid gets further divided among these students. As colleges and universities receive more students and need more staff, they must spend more to educate everyone. I feel that it is the government’s job to keep in pace with the rising number of college students and college expenses.