karen New York

Stress Factors for Veterans

Reward Veterans with they deserve.

Veterans risk their lives for our freedom and are given nothing return. As the next president of the United States I strongly feel that veterans should be able to live a middle class life after they served our country.

There are 49,333 homeless veterans. Veterans between the ages of 18 and 30 are twice as likely as adults in the general population to be homeless, and the risk of homelessness increases significantly among young veterans who are poor according to dvnf.org. “Almost 2 million veterans are without health insurance, along with 3.8 million members of their households, a new study finds.” (ABC News) The government needs to find a way to provide health insurance to the veterans and their families. As the future president of our country you should be informed of the many stress factors our veterans have today and do something to fix it. 

Something that really concerns me are the foundations that say they help veterans when they don’t. For example, The Wounded Warrior Project says they're a charity that offers a variety of programs, services and events for wounded veterans of the military actions. In all reality only 54% of the money earned from this foundation got to the wounded veterans lacking medical care for the mental health veterans. Instead, the company splurges on lavish staff parties and group retreats. 

Many veterans suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and many injuries. This changes the way they live their lives. Today, hundreds of thousands of servicemen and women and recent military veterans have seen combat. Many have been shot at, seen their buddies killed, or witnessed death up close. Veterans need counseling and therapy to help deal with their PTSD, and the government should provide this care for them.  According to iava.org, “About 15 out of every 100 Vietnam Veterans (or 15%) were currently diagnosed with PTSD at the time of the most recent study in the late 1980's. It is estimated that about 30 out of every 100 (or 30%) of Vietnam Veterans have had PTSD in their lifetime.”  If these veterans were encouraged to receive help and therapy, it would make their lives and their families lives much happier.

In conclusion, society owes these veterans care and support. Our communities should create opportunities for veterans to overcome substance abuse and find stable jobs and therapy for all. The government including you, the future president, should make more of an effort to support veterans in difficult times. After all,  you are the one who gives the okay for the soldiers to go to war and risk their lives; in return you should save theirs. 

Karen

Ketchum-Grande Memorial School

ELA Students

Students in grades 9-12