kristina M. New York

Protect Horses from Slaughter

Horses in the United States are being slaughtered for human consumption. There needs to be more prevention against this cruel and inhumane practice.

Dear Mister or Madam President,

As leader of the United States, are you aware of the abhorrent practice of consuming horse meat and the dangerous toxins horses are being treated with? Horse meat from the U.S. is unhealthy and harmful when consumed by humans because there are numerous toxic substances which are unregulated for administration. The following countries who consume horse meat are France, China, Kazakhstan, Indonesia, Germany, Belgium, Japan, Switzerland and Scotland. The countries listed may not know about the many substances horses are treated with before slaughter, this issue should be brought to their attention.

Horses have been a major part of my life and it is disappointing and upsetting that the lives of horses are being threatened. More than 150,000 horses are sent to Mexico and Canada to be slaughtered and then consumed by humans. Horse slaughter is wrong and there should be a law passed against this. You, as the United States president, may not know the cruelty about horse slaughter but you Mister or Madam might have the power to put a stop to the misery horses have been experiencing over the past and recent years.

37,422 or 61% of horses slaughtered in Canada in the year of 2014 were imported horses from the United States. The Senate, in May 2015, began to introduce a bill that was referred to the committee of health, education, labor, and pensions. This bill (John Rainy Memorial Safe American Food Exports (SAFE) Act) states the findings such as how horses are not raised for human consumption and the prohibitions with the conditions that equine parts are unsafe and the sale and transport of horses for the purpose of human consumption shall be prohibited.

As president you have a voice to vanish horse slaughter and the consumption of horse meat. To secure the safety of people in the United States and around the world the slaughtering of horses should be banned. For, we should be ashamed and at most horrified of the cruel practice of horse slaughter. I hope you are able to see through the eyes of the people and realize that something needs to be done to prevent the transport and slaughter of horses. I urge you to pass the John Rainy Memorial Safe American Food Exports (SAFE) Act.

With much luck in your presidency,

Kristina Molloy

Ketchum-Grande Memorial School

ELA Students

Students in grades 9-12