Jeffrey G. New York

The problems with school lunch

School lunch is horrible for many kids and not high quality. 31 million kids are fed school lunch worldwide daily. Why not make it better?

Imagine starving kids at school everyday, having no lunch, or kids throwing away school lunch without eating it. According to Western Journalism, B.Christopher Agee said that everyday 4 million dollars worth of school lunch is thrown in the garbage can. If you change the school lunch the kids might eat it and reduce the amount of money we lose everyday.Even I never school lunch anymore because it’s nasty. I am writing you tell you about how bad school lunch is and how you should change it.

According to Amy Buffenbarger from the NEO (National Educationa Association),18,000 schools did not complete the 2 required yearly inspections. That means that the kitchen could be very dirty. In addition, Jarett Murphy from CityLimits.org said that Urban Assembly, a school in Manhattan, reported finding mold in a slice of school lunch pizza. This wasn’t the only case of molded pizza. There were multiple cases of this. This is why you should change school lunch since it’s such bad quality. Even though Michelle Obama started making the lunch really healthy by making school lunches have fruits and vegetables and a limiting the amount of sodium and sugar, there are still many changes to be made. Also, on the bright side if the school lunch is like junk food, well at least kids are eating something instead of nothing and getting some energy at least instead of eating lunch after school. Furthermore, usually in US, students have 20-45 minutes to eat their lunch while in France students have as long as 2 hours to eat their lunch.

Kids can even get sick eating school lunch! Back in my old school, like at least 80% of the students would throw away the whole tray of the school lunch. They would force you to get lunch with fruit and vegetables, but at the end of the day it ends up in the trash. In my opinion the vegetables is the worst part of the lunch. For example, the broccoli is mushy and soggy and probably not cooked correctly. The look and taste didn’t make me want to eat it. Usually, I would throw away the whole lunch besides the milk. You could at least cook the food correctly and not have processed food delivered to schools everyday. This is why you should change school lunch.

Jeffrey G

Sources:

Agee, B.Christopher. "$4million In Food Thrown Away Every Day Michelle's School Lunch Program." WesternJournalism.com. The Minority Report, Sept.-Oct. 2013. Web. 16 Nov. 2016. http://www.westernjournalism.com/4-million-food-thrown-away-every-day-michelles-school-lunch-program/

Buffenbarger, Amy. "Quality of School Lunch Questioned." National Educational Assocation, n.d. Web. Oct.-Nov. 2016. http://www.nea.org/home/37485.htm

Murphy, Jarett. "City Schools' Food Program Struggles with Pizza Problem." Citylimits.org. CityLimits, Sept.-Oct. 2106. Web. 16 Nov. 2016. http://citylimits.org/2016/09/15/city-schools-food-program-struggles-with-pizza-problems/

NYC Lab Middle School

NYC Lab Middle School

Lab students have been painfully subjected to three debates where they searched for policy talk. Four and a half hours later.. Now, our students will have the chance to speak about an issue of importance and possibly make a recommendation for improvement.