De'Andre S. Illinois

Fight for better school lunches

The fight on better school lunches is a big deal. Is there anything thing you , Donald Trump can do? So that processed foods that are high in fat, sugar, and salt can be removed out of lunches in schools across America because eating these foods results in obesity.

Dear Donald Trump, today I come to you about the school lunch crisis and to get an explanation on why the food is so unhealthy and unappealing. Believe it or not, Almost everyday I get a stomach ache after eating the terrible lunch food they serve here a Metea Valley. This is what we are eating on a daily basis…Processed foods that are high in fat, sugar, and salt have become a mainstay of lunches in schools across America and eating these foods results in obesity. I feel like school lunch is very unhealthy and isn’t good for you and the government isn’t doing enough to fix what the students “the future of the country” is eating. Every day nearly 100,000 schools serve lunches to 30.5 million kids. But that's only about 60% of kids that eat school lunch the other 40% eat lunches from home and the number is constantly growing after acts have been passed putting restrictions on what students can eat.

Now, don't get me wrong the school still serves lots of healthy stuff in the cafeteria but all the healthy stuff is boring to eat. For instance sandwiches , salads , wraps. We don’t want to eat that , there is way better healthy foods that are appealing and healthy and have lots of nutritional value. It’s not that students don't like eating veggies we just don't like eating just veggies. It would be better if they would implement the veggies with things such as chicken breast or fish. I know i sounds like I want the school to serve gourmet lunches. I am just giving healthy alternatives that taste good and contain lots of nutritional value. For instance the sandwich bar has no variety and quality. They provide no more than 5 types of meat , 3 types of cheese , and 4 types of breads that are often stale. I feel like they could try harder and provide a lot more quality so that the students are satisfied and getting their necessary nutrition. I feel like the school system has got caught up in the traditional school lunch pizza , fries , burgers , nachos. Yes those thing are very good , but more variety while still keeping it healthy would give schools what they want. The school wants profit and they make money off school lunches being sold. If they made the variety better while keeping it healthy to meet government requirements they would see more profit and also start decreasing that growing 40% of students that eat home packed lunches. I personally feel like the government pays too much attention to things that have little to no potential. Feeding students a better lunch everyday is a direct impact on the future of America. Just take that into consideration. 

Metea Valley High School

English 2, Period 7

Mr. Page's very-totally-awesome 7th period English 2 class at Metea Valley High School in Aurora, IL.

All letters from this group →