Berkys G. New York

Control guns

A letter in support of gun control

My name is Berkys Gonzalez. I am from the Dominican Republic and I study at Brooklyn International High School. I think that if we want a safe country you should control guns. Many people die each day because they are shot up, also many people take their own life because they have mental problems and access to guns. I know some states sell guns like it is normal but I think this should be illegal. They should be sure who they sell these guns to because you don't know what people have in their mind. It can be a terrorist and we don't know. We the people of the United States need you, the next President, to control guns so we can have a safe country.

Back in 2012 when a man went to Sandy Hook elementary school and killed innocent children and teachers, I was scared. I was new to the U.S. then, I had only lived here six months. It made me think that going to school in the U.S. is not safe. How could this happen? Because his mother taught him how to use a gun. Again, just 7 months ago in Orlando, Florida, when a shooter killed 49 people in a nightclub, innocent people were killed. And again I felt scared. How did the shooter obtain the guns? Well, he bought them in a store in the country. 

I think the best thing you can do as our president is make stronger gun control. For example, don't let people buy a gun if they are not in the Army, police, or other job where a gun is required. Also make sure the person have an ID. And, most importantly, this person has to have a sure place in their house so nobody else can touch these guns.

Even if you as President cannot control everything in the US, you have more power than us citizens. That is why it’s important for you to take control of guns.

Berkys Gonzalez

Brooklyn International High School

BIHS Seniors 2016-17

Brooklyn International High School, in New York City, is a public school for recent immigrants to the U.S.