Percival New York

Police Brutality

According to the Washington Post, there was a count of 250 people killed by police officers in the first three months of 2016. They’re treating us like we’re wild animals to hunt down.I highly advise a stronger punishment on corrupt department officers. Suspension seems to not help at all.

Dear, Next President

Police brutality needs to stop now. The amount of deaths caused by some of your police department officers is incredible. In The Guardian’s police killings database there was a count of 939 people killed this year. 206 of those people were African American like me. I am personally scared for my life because of this situation going on right now. Their job is to protect us from the dangers of things or even other people. This needs to stop immediately before it gets worse. You need to do something to stop these numbers from increasing.

According to the Washington Post, there was a count of 250 people killed by police officers in the first three months of 2016. They’re treating us like we’re wild animals to hunt down. If I didn’t know any better, I would think we aren’t even viewed as human. No human should be killed like this and you must agree. I hope you understand the outcome of their actions, which for some has been violent protest and retaliation against your department officers.

On August 9, 2014 an unarmed black teenager named Michael Brown was shot and killed by Darren Wilson, a white police officer, in Ferguson, Missouri. The St. Louis County prosecutor announced that the grand jury decided not to indict Mr. Wilson. This set off a wave of protest. This is what police brutality does to the economy. He was set free and he took a young boy's life. He could have been our country's next president but he will never get the chance because of an officer who felt like shooting a young man that day

Sit down and think to yourself about the pain of the families who lost their loved ones in the hands of a police officer. The mothers who raised to make their children, pouring all of their love and pain into their child's graves. What if that was your child you grew from a baby to an adult and their life was taken so cruelly and viciously? Also the worst part of all is the kids. They lost their mothers/fathers because a police officer had a bad day. Would you want your to kids live without you in their life?

Why should we be scared of our “protectors”? I won’t sit here and say every police officer is bad because there are some good cops. I really wish they could influence the bad ones. Honestly I believe they’re like this because no real action is being done for their actions. They only get suspended for actual murder. No matter if you have a badge or not you should never be disciplined differently from anyone else.

There are things I can suggest that can happen to fix this situation. I highly advise a stronger punishment on corrupt department officers. Suspension seems to not help at all. This is actual murder so officers should do time for it. Also another suggestion is paying for the funeral cost. It’ll be an amazing direction on the good side to actually pay for half or all of the expenses. This will hopefully show them you’re on their side and prevent harsh repercussions from the civilians.

We cannot forget our amazing Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech, “I had a dream.” He fought a hard and long battle to make us equal. We should come together as one. said by Martin Luther King “We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality." How can we be alright with the tragedies of police brutality?

Future President I hope you take these problems into consideration and try to change these problems. I speak for everyone when I say we want protectors not killers.

Percival

Work cited: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/13/us/ferguson-missouri-town-under-siege-after-police-shooting.html?_r=0

Author:By Larry Buchanan, Ford Fessenden, K.K. Rebecca Lai, Haeyoun Park, Alicia Parlapiano, Archie Tse, Tim Wallace, Derek Watkins and Karen Yourish

Title: “What Happened in Ferguson”

Updated: Aug. 10, 2015

https://thinkprogress.org/this-is-how-many-people-police-have-killed-so-far-in-2016-7f1aec6b7098#.vhmonwurk

Author: Celisa Calacal

Title: “ This is how many people police have killed so far in 2016”

Updated: July 5, 2016

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

Author: American Rhetoric Writers

Title: Martin Luther King, Jr.

I Have a Dream

Updated: August 28, 1963

Troy High School

Mr. Mo's Amazing English Students

Each of my students has a voice that needs to be heard. These are the minds and hearts that will help shape our country's future. All student writing, audio, video and artwork is 100% original and supported with in-depth research. Enjoy their incredible work.