Alianna Madrigal Michigan

Year-round school pros and cons

What would you rather have school all year with frequent breaks, better test scores, and higher taxes or vacation time, summer jobs, and better health?

To the next president:

Traditionally a three month vacation during the summer was not intentionally for downtime or breaks for students but more so for economic necessity.

There are 10% of public schools that students are attending year-round school, and 2% of those students are dropping out yearly, but education in students is increased by 26% than not being in school all year.

For example, taxes will increase for parents that have children attending year-round schooling because this money would go toward buses, lunches, and programs. Taxes rise even though your child is staying in school for the same amount of time but with more vacations in between, but some schools do not have air conditioning and could cause many problems with students withstanding heat and parents taxes raising. Mothers who have children in districts that offer schools on the year-round academic calendar are less likely to take part in the labor market, causing more effects economically in families.

Children use their summer vacation to have a job and they wouldn't be able to because schools want a year-round school calendar. While many people do believe that year-round school can give more opportunities, having a job could also increase opportunities and lessons for children.

Even though statistics show that 18% of children are obese and that being in school all year helps children with obesity it can also be affecting because summer sport camps would not be available causing increased obesity in children.

Although year-round schooling has many downfalls it does benefit in many cases, that is why many schools do year-round schooling. Test scores have increased drastically since 2012 in 46 different states.

Every year, over 1.2 million students drop out of high school in the United States alone. That's a student dropping out every 26 seconds or 7,000 a day. This should dwell over parent’s minds, of having a child drop out of school and not be a graduate. For this reason states have emphasized that children should have more frequent breaks to ease absences and stress.

For the most part year-round schooling can aid children with better grades and test scores, but health comes first and obese children are not healthy and for parents having to work more hours in a day to be able to pay taxes is not worthy enough. I believe students should not have to be in school all year and teachers can help students that are struggling, if that’s what people are worried about.

Allen Park High School

APHS Advanced Placement Language and Composition

Allen Park High School is located in Southeastern Michigan. AP Lang studies rhetoric. Additionally, students produce text to narrate, persuade, and inform.