Dorothy H. Nevada

Human Trafficking

This is a call to action against this illegal act that plagues America.

I am writing this to inform you on a very serious topic that I hope you will take action to stop, human trafficking. Human trafficking is by definition the illegal movement of people, typically for the purposes of forced labor or commercial sexual exploitation. Although it’s illegal, it’s still happening. I urge you to make more of an effort to remove this terrible act from our country. Are you aware that 3,287 people worldwide are trafficked every day, that’s 3,287 too many. I realize that you only have jurisdiction over the U.S. but even still this issue must be eradicated. Did you know that 300,000 American children are at risk of child sexual exploitation. In 1862 Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation ridding America of slavery. Every moment that this illegal act continues is a moment of his hard work wasted. Since 2007 The National Human Trafficking Resource Center Hotline has received 14,588 sex trafficking cases in the U.S. alone. I know there are programs in place that are working to eliminate human trafficking, but according to the numbers, it’s not enough. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and the Metropolitan Police Department in this year alone has had 61 cases, That’s just one city in one state. This is the very reason I don’t feel safe taking my dog for a walk in the park, I don’t even feel safe going to get the mail. The point of a government is to protect, so protect the parents from having to worry constantly about their child who walks to school, so protect the girl who forgot her pepper spray that day, protect them all.

Dorothy 

Las Vegas Academy

LVA Creative Writers

Open to LVA students in grades 9-12.