Morgan M. Texas

Ban or Change Standardized Testing

Reasons to ban or severely change standardized testing.

Dear Mr./Madam President of the United States of America,

You must ban standardized tests or change them severely. It’s said that these tests are useful for teachers to help students learn and to make sure they are doing well, but these tests don’t even help students get ready for the real world. All these tests are doing is pushing stress onto so many students and overwhelming them, and what these tests really do is make people look at whether the school is doing well instead of the student’s overall grades.

A typical student usually takes about 112 standardized tests from when they are in pre-k to 12th grade. Most of these standardized tests fall on the nation’s eighth graders and overwhelms them with stress. They end up taking up to 25.3 hours during the school year for standardized testing. This seems as though that is unnecessary for eighth graders to be taking enough tests to take up a day just to test. Not only do the students worry about the test parents also get worried for their students testing. Teachers also feel that these tests take out the fun and joy in learning and pressure the students to learn.

Many people think that standardized tests help students to get ready for the real world, but do they actually do that? These tests don’t have any questions regarding how to get a job or how to pay taxes and get insurance. Even taking these tests shows students that their is always one right answer to everything which doesn’t, and shouldn’t apply to the real world. Standardized tests either need to be changed to help students for the real world or should be removed altogether.

If a school’s standardized testing scores are low, people usually think that the teachers there are bad at their jobs and the students are not learning well, but a student could have all straight A’s and can struggle on the test. When looking at a students learning they don’t look at how well you do during the school year, they only look at how well you have performed on the test. These tests are trying to measure how good or bad a school is performing when they should really be looking at the student’s progress over the school year. Using standardized tests shouldn’t be used to measure how well a school is doing but how the students at that school are progressing.

Congratulations on winning the 2016-2020 presidential election. I know that you will make new and needed changes that will help our country thrive and become even better than it already is. I hope that you will take this letter into consideration.

Thank you,

Morgan M.

Works Cited:

Ascd. "Why Standardized Tests Don't Measure Educational Quality." Educational Leadership:Using Standards and Assessments:. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

By Mar. 2002, after a Surge in Testing and the Passing of NCLB, That Figure Dropped to 47%. "Standardized Tests - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016

"Is the Use of Standardized Tests Improving Education in America? - Standardized Tests - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Standardized Testing: Measuring What Matters Least." Standardized Testing: Measuring What Matters Least. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Study Says Standardized Testing Is Overwhelming Nation's Public Schools."Washington Post. The Washington Post, n.d. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.