Jacob.P Texas

Why we must make college more affordable

Persuasive Letter to the next President to make college more affordable.

By Jacob.p

Dear Mr/Madam President, “How hard will it be to leave college with $100,000 in debt? Think of young people having to make a choice between working a minimum wage job to survive because they cannot afford tuition” The most important issue facing our nation today is the lack of affordable higher education. Mr/Madam President you must make college more affordable. Many people who would be successful in college are not attending it for the reason that it is too expensive. If college tuition remains unaffordable there will be an increase in income inequality.

It cost $10,200 a semester to go to college at UT. You Mr/Madam President need to do something about this because not everyone can afford this. College must stay available and an affordable opportunity that gives a good value for all People/Americans. We want college to be a safe investment for every student who want’s to work hard, an investment that gets our students ready for a good job and a bright future.

Some people claim that there are jobs that people could get if they can’t afford to go to college. But some of those jobs aren't that bad but you get paid less, so there’s some consequences. How will you pay rent when you work at McDonald's, and you get paid $8.81 an hour. You’ll be living with your parents, and at college age, you should be living on your own.

It’s hard to come up with thousands of dollars without taking out a loan because that's where all your money is. This can also affect education and society by, debt levels increasing on economic growth. In the wake of the financial crash, families have been trying to pay down their debt so they can have a healthier financial future, reduce the amount of their income that they use to service their debt, and begin investing again. During this process, families are spending a lot, which is holding them back, and this makes it hard for the economy to stay healthy.

Mr/Madam President it is important to follow what i’m saying or the economy will not stay healthy, thousands of college students will not be able to afford the debt since they chose to go to college, and if college tuition remains unaffordable there will be an increase in income inequality. As well as many people who would be successful in college are not attending it for the reason that it is too expensive.

Cedar Valley Middle School

Ms. Collins' students

These are the wonderful ideas of my 8th grade students and their advice to the next President of the United States.