Sarah Texas

Transgenders Need Voices

Transgenders need to have as much representation and respect as much as any other american citizen!

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President

When I say the word “transgender” what do you think of? Is it just a term that is used to gain attention and “is just a phase”? Or is is it much much more than that? According to my friend, it’s significantly more than “just a phase”. He came out as transgender to me at the start of high school, and he doesn’t feel comfortable in his own skin. This is what it’s like for approximately 1.4 million adults in the US today. That may not seem like a lot, but they’re still citizens of america, and they deserve to be heard. That’s why I would love to see a transgender representative in the Supreme Court

I live in a very conservative town. I know that the talk of transgender makes these sort of folks uncomfortable or angry, but they don’t know what it’s like to be transgender. Even people who support these ideas don’t know what it’s like! It’s important that these people have a voice, because if this person doesn’t stand up for them against so much hatred and prejudice, who will? While some members of the Supreme Court (or even you) might have a great understanding of this issue, a person with firsthand knowledge of what it’s like to be transgender in the Supreme Court is important.

Overall, every time a bill is passed through this supreme court, in the near future, it would be amazing to see transgenders represented and voiced every time. These people deserve better treatment than what they’re getting now, especially in conservative towns. Transgenders have been oppressed and scrutinized for a long long time. It’s time they get the respect and representation they deserve.

Thank you for listening,

Sarah F.

KHS