Evelyn T. Texas

Why Affirmative Action Needs to be Stopped

These are reasons why affirmative action must be put to an end.

Affirmative Action is something that has made an effect in the U.S. ever since 1961. It has helped those who tend to be discriminated in society and given people opportunities in education and employment, but it’s time for us to move on. Affirmative Action has started to hurt our society and we need to abolish it and we need to find a different way to give everyone equal opportunity. 

“Affirmative Action was never meant to be permanent, and now is truly the time to move on to some other approach.”-Susan Estrich

Affirmative Action was put into action to help those that have been discriminated in the past, but it’s doing the exact opposite. Those who have higher scores are being rejected BECAUSE they’re more qualified. Some universities are reserving part of their acceptance spots for minorities when there are more deserving people. The people getting special treatment are also using affirmative action as an easy way to get higher education. Some aren’t working half as hard as others, but get in because of their race. This is reverse discrimination. A recent case brought to Supreme Court on this issue was Fisher vs. University of Texas. Fisher, a white female, felt she was being discriminated against because of her race and thought she was more qualified than others even though she was rejected. The Supreme Court ruled it constitutional when it’s completely unfair and unnecessary.

Another problem with affirmative action is that it’s based on generalizations and can be very inaccurate at times. For example: lots of kids are being adopted from Asia and Africa, and lots of people don't grow up in the same environment as others of the same race. They can grow up in an opposite environment but receive different treatment. Another example is that there have been many generations in America. Things change over time and races are intermixing. What do the kids identify with? Affirmative Action is so focused on race that it doesn’t take other important things into account income. My father is Asian, but he was the first generation in his family to go to college. He grew up in a poor, Black, Hispanic neighborhood, but he got to be successful without affirmative action. He got to be successful by working hard. Another thing we’ve seen in the U.S. is our last president, Barack Obama. He became the first African-American president and his children are probably some of the most privileged kids in the U.S. Do they still receive this special treatment? If so, is that fair at all? J.C. Watts, a successful black man says himself said,

“I'm not one that believes that affirmative action should be based on one's skin color or one's gender, I think it should be done based on one's need, because I think if you are from a poor white community, I think that poor white kid needs a scholarship just as badly as a poor black kid.”

It’s obvious that affirmative action is helping those who are not in need and not helping others who need just as much assistance.

A reason why affirmative action is still legal is because African Americans feel they have been discriminated ever since their arrival in America. They think they should have equal opportunity in education and employment. However, Asians and Whites have been dominating the population in top universities and high paying jobs. This makes Hispanics and Blacks feel the need to have some sort of “head start”. 

"Take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin." - JFK

This is the main reason why affirmative action started, but what affirmative action is trying to prevent is transferring to other races. Every time we take a state or national test, we are asked for our race and gender. The government IS regarding our race and it’s affecting the outcome. We think affirmative action is helping African Americans and Hispanics, but it’s really passing the burden to someone else.

Our country started affirmative action for those in need, but now it’s time to move on and recognize that in society, everyone is equal. It has helped in the past, but it’s now hurting our country more. Affirmative Action needs to be abolished and we must find away to help people in a more fair and effective way. 

Cedar Valley Middle School 8th Grade ELA

Mrs. Margulies's Classes

8th grade ELA classes from Cedar Valley High School