Sumit J. Texas

Why we must Repeal the 2nd Amendment

Reasons that the next President should repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Dear Mr./Madam President,

By the time this letter has reached you and you start reading this letter already more than 85 people will have died because of handguns. The most important issue facing our nation today is the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution and the lives lost because of it. Mr./Madam President you must repeal the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution. You must repeal the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution because it’s increasing the homicide death rate by handguns and it’s also increasing the suicide rate by handguns also.

One of the reasons we should repeal the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution is because the homicide rate has increased because of it. In the article Every Town Search it states that there are more than 12,000 gun homicides a year in the US. According to Smart Gun Laws article 35% of gun deaths are homicides. 68% of homicides are from guns. Therefore we should repeal the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution because it is increasing the homicide rate from handguns a lot.

Some people may say the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution is nice and they shouldn’t ever take it away because it keeps you safe and helps keep other safe, but actually it really doesn't. On December 23, 2014 A husband shot his wife, who was a 28 year old mother 13 times in the face with his handgun because he got angry and wasn't thinking which is stated in The Trace article. Also their are more than 40 deaths a day from family members by handguns. This shows that because of the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution family members are getting killed by their own family members with a handgun when they are drunk, angry, mad, etc. Therefore we should repeal the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution even though some people say the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution keeps families safe, but actually it gets family members killed by their own family members, which is the last way people should get killed/die.

Another reason you should repeal the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution is because the suicide rate has increased because of it. According to the article Smart Gun Laws firearms were used in 19,392 suicides in the U.S. in 2010, constituting almost 62% of all gun deaths which is a ton.Also over 50% of all suicides are committed with a firearm. On average, 49 gun suicides were committed each day for the years 2005-2010. Therefore we should repeal the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution because the suicide rate by handguns has increased a lot by the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution.

All in all we need to repeal/take away the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution because it is increasing the suicide rate by handguns a lot and also it is increasing the homicide rate by handguns a lot. For all of those reasons Mr/Madam president you need to repeal the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution for the safety and benefit of others and yourself.

Sincerely, Sumit J.

@JenniferMascia. "15 Statistics That Tell the Story of Gun Violence This Year." The Trace Comments. 06 July 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence." Key Gun Violence Statistics. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Gun Violence by the Numbers." EverytownResearch.org. 19 Oct. 2016. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"Statistics on Gun Deaths & Injuries." Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

"USA Gun Violence Statistics." Heedinggodscall.org. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.