Kayla F. Texas

Abortion Must Be Outlawed Immediately

Abortion kills over a million innocent babies in the United States each year. These human beings are denied the right to life, which America claims to guarantee to everyone. Something must be done about this tragic event currently facing our nation.

Dear Mr./Madam President,

As Dr. Seuss once said, “A person is a person no matter how small.” Every human life matters, even the lives of the unborn. Abortion kills millions of unborn children each year in the United States alone. Plus, not only are innocent babies being killed, but they are being killed by their own mothers. How could anyone deny the problems in this? Murder is illegal, yet murdering unborn babies isn’t. As a result, millions of babies are killed every year. We must make abortion illegal to save millions of babies’ lives.

Everyone is against murder, yet not everyone is against abortion. They believe that abortion isn’t murder because an unborn baby isn’t alive. However, science proves that human life begins at conception. Because of this, abortion is the legal murder of innocent babies. Dr. Jerome LeJeune, the discoverer of the chromosome pattern of Down syndrome, testified that “after fertilization has taken place a new human being has come into being.” He stated that this “is no longer a matter of taste or opinion,” and “not a metaphysical contention, it is plain experimental evidence.” He added, “Each individual has a very neat beginning, at conception.” Science proves that abortion is the killing of living human beings; it should not be legal. In addition, scientific studies show that a person’s DNA strands stay the same from conception to death. A human is the same person in their mother’s womb as they are in their final days on earth, yet it’s legal to kill them at one point and not the other. Plus, a few premature babies are born at the same age that some unfortunate babies are aborted, and they’re kept alive. Why should premature babies have the chance to live and not babies the exact same age still in the womb? Since the babies that are being aborted are in fact alive, aborting them is killing them. It’s taking away their right to life, the most basic right given to mankind. Abortion goes against everything that our government preserves and believes in. How can people support it?

It’s far more important to give a baby the right to life than it is to give a woman a second choice of whether she wants to deliver a baby or not. Statistics show that, contrary to popular belief, 95% of abortions are done as birth control. Only 1% are performed because of rape/incest, 1% because of fetal abnormalities, and 3% due to the mother's health problems. This means that most abortions are performed because a woman simply decides that she doesn’t want or can’t deal with a child, but she has already made the choice to get pregnant. True, it’s important for women to be able to decide many factors in their lives, but abortion is also deciding another person’s life. Women who get pregnant have already made a decision. If they change their minds and abort their babies, they are killing their own children, half of which are females who are denied the right to life. How is keeping abortion legal giving women rights if half of the innocent babies who have no choice in the matter would be women if they could live that long? The right to life is the most important unalienable right, and that is being taken away from millions of babies in the United States alone.

Supporters of abortion argue that if abortion were made illegal, women would get abortions anyway, but they would be unsafe and cause many women to die. In truth, the number of abortions has drastically increased since the practice was made legal, so millions of babies are being killed that wouldn’t be if it were illegal. In other words, even if a relatively small number of women were to choose to perform an unsafe, illegal abortion and die doing so, far more people lose their lives under legalized abortion because of the millions of unborn babies that die every year.

More than a million babies are killed annually in America, “The Land of Opportunity,” and many citizens are indifferent to it. A lot of them actually support it. Unborn children have been scientifically proven to be alive from conception, but some people continue to deny this fact. They would prefer to give unalienable rights only to people of a certain age. This is unacceptable for a nation as free as America. Abortion is a pressing issue that you must address immediately. Continuing to allow abortion is our country’s biggest mistake, and it must be fixed. To protect the most basic of all human rights for all Americans, we must outlaw abortion.

Respectfully,

Kayla Frank