Marie Michigan

LGBT Equality

Everyone should be treated equally--no matter his or her orientation.

I know there have been a lot of problems lately against the whole LGBT community. We all have a sexual orientation and that means we should all be equal, not be treating anyone differently because they aren’t heterosexual. Yes, people can have their beliefs, but that should be kept with who thinks the same and not put out as far as discriminating those people or even the people that support it.

Gender identity refers to the complex relationship between sex and gender, referring to a person's experience of self-expression in relation to social categories of masculinity or femininity (gender). All people, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity, should be able to enjoy their human rights (Amnesty International).

I want to talk about transgender bathrooms. I don’t believe everyone will be comfortable with this situation because maybe all they can see is a boy or girl in the girl’s or boy’s bathroom. In my opinion, I think if they are comfortable enough in their own skin being their sexuality then they can find a way to be comfortable with sharing a bathroom with their same “problem”. The boy or girl could even have a bigger chance to get judged in the bathroom,which sucks to admit but that’s society, which is awful. But I feel like transgenders should be paid for.

There are only 37 states “(Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming)” (Governing The States and Localities) that allows gay marriage. It’s already hard enough for the gays, lesbians, bi's and transgenders in school or coming out to their peers and now the people that have mutual feelings of love to their same sex aren’t allowed to express their feelings by becoming a family in the other 13 states. It should be legal in all states, not just for those people but to show equality.

No person deserves hate or to be discriminated against for who they really believe they are, it’s just wrong. Imagine you are completely against it, but then someone you can’t live without or really care about comes out to you. Would you completely forget about them, hate them, leave them all alone in this situation they are going through? 

Marie G.