MS Texas

SMOKING KILLS EVERYTHING

Why smoking is bad.

Dear President

Due to health issues and other problems such as destruction of property, smoking should be illegal.

Smoking is the cause of one of every five deaths in the US. Smoking can cause cancer in the lungs, esophagus, larynx, mouth, throat, kidney, bladder, liver, pancreas, stomach, cervix, colon, and rectum. All from just smoking! Also smoking can cause permanent lung damage that can prevent you from doing anything active ever again. Think of it this way, if you smoke, it will make some people automatically dislike you as a person. Also smoking is like running with a 1000 pound bag instead of running free. Every cigarette is anywhere from 5-8 minutes off your life. Each. So basically smoking is one of the worst thing you could do. More or less it’s indirectly committing suicide. So if you don’t want to commit suicide, don’t smoke.

Another reason not to smoke is that it destroys property. Based on research done by people at ucanquit2.org 1.7 billion pounds of cigarette butts accumulate in lakes and oceans and on beaches and the rest of the planet every year and 4.3 Trillion litter the Earth each year. Also fires caused by lighting cigarettes cost 3 billion dollars, killed 800, and injured 1600 in 2005 alone. And smoking has gotten even more popular. Even though people don't realize it smoking kills the environment. When cigarettes are put out in our environment, they put out toxic chemicals in times as short as 50-60 minutes. These chemicals include cadmium, lead, and arsenic.

Some people argue smoking lowers risk of death after heart attacks and that people who smoke are less likely to have joint replacement. But by saving yourself from something that might happen you are dooming yourself for sure.

Overall the bad in smoking far outweighs the good. It causes 1 in 5 deaths destroys property and hurts the innocent with fire. It also Pollutes the environment. Overall, smoking should be outlawed. Thank you for taking time to read this!

Cedar Valley Middle School 8th Grade ELA

Mrs. Margulies's Classes

8th grade ELA classes from Cedar Valley High School