Emma Thomas Texas

War on Terror

We should be fighting in the War on Terror.

Dear Mr./ Mrs. President,

War is a terrible event. Death and destruction almost always follow. The war on terror is a global battle between religion and freedom. One of the main questions that is often brought up is: should we be fighting in this war or not? Some say it has turned into our battle ever since the attack on 9/11. Others say it is costing too much money and not worth the life toll. I think America should be sending troops over to help fight and defend the world from ISIS because it would ensure our safety and help redeem those that died on September 11, 2001.

First of all, fighting the war on terror would ensure our freedom. After Pearl Harbor, the U.S. joined WW2 to protect the American Dream and defend our country. So, why is now any different? On September 11, 2001, we were attacked by Osama Bin Laden and ISIS. Two planes crashed into the World Trade Center towers, and one plane hit the Pentagon. That day 2,996 Americans died. Before 9/11, many Americans were living in paradise without a care or actual knowledge about the world around us. But when 9/11 happened, not only were people dead, but the rest of the remaining Americans were scared and confused. Many asked why us? I thought they liked us? That is when we realized that there are people out there that hate us, and hate is a very strong word. They hate us with all of there being and that is why this war started. 9/11 was the first time anyone had attacked us on our soil. It made an impact in the lives of everyone. 9/11 is the reason we fight, and it helped us realize how much ISIS hates us. This war is not good because people are fighting a bloody battle, but they are fighting so that horrific death of almost 3,000 people was not in vain. They are fighting so we can redeem those who died at 9/11. We are doing the same thing that we did back in 1941. We are fighting for our freedom.

Secondly, fighting would ensure our safety. America has always been the Country of Freedom, but what about safety? We felt safe before 9/11, but now we have become more and more unsure. Not only is America struggling to keep us safe inside our country from riots, fights and even things like poverty and homelessness, but our troops are also keeping us safe from terrorists who are willing to do anything, even sacrificing themselves as martyrs, to build their Utopia. Yes, that means that they want us to either agree with them or become extinct. If no one stands in the way of that attitude, then we are going to die. Eric Shawn, FOX NEWS SENIOR CORRESPONDENT says that, “Jordan vows that a, quote, "relentless war against ISIS" and has carried out four days of continuing airstrikes in revenge for that barbaric burning to death of its pilot, despite being dwarfed by larger militaries. The country ranks number 67th, according to global firepower and military strength with a defense budget of $1.5 billion. It can field just over 110,000 active military personnel. The air force has 246 military aircraft, including 74 fighters or interceptors and 42 fixed-wing attack aircraft.” This shows what we are up against in the war on terror and what type of firepower is out there that could potentially be used against us. Senator Lindsey Graham said, “It’s called war. It’s called war. It’s called war. And you’re not going to stop tragedies like this from happening as long as you’re in a war. This is part of war. You can’t have a war without collateral damage.” This gives a reason why we need to ensure our safety and fight. We fight so that the impact of collateral damage isn't too great on us or others.

Now some people don't agree with me. Some people argue that we should not fight in the war on terror. They say it is costing too much money and too many lives. I agree that we are losing money. There is no doubt. However, the government lost more money to Healthcare and Social Security in 2015 than to the military. The government is spending more money on funding families with no money and paying for people’s doctor bills than protecting America from ISIS. In 2015, they used $1.28 trillion towards Social Security and $1.05 trillion towards Healthcare. In 2015, they used $609.3 billion towards the military. Therefore, money should not be a reason that we abandon our freedom. Also, I don't know about you, but those numbers are a little scary. I agree it is good to have those services, but is it that much more important than war? I also agree we are sacrificing a lot of American lives. However, most of them chose to fight and understood what the consequences were and agreed to risk their life for America. Now that deserves real honor.

America is the land of the free and the home of the brave. Ensuring our freedom and ensuring our safety are only two of the reasons we should fight. War is terrible, but now is the time to fight to make sure our freedom and safety is preserved. So please take action now and continue to fight for our freedom and safety.

Emma T.

Cedar Valley Middle School 8th Grade ELA

Mrs. Margulies's Classes

8th grade ELA classes from Cedar Valley High School