Adam O. Texas

Gun Laws

Gun laws are causing more violence instead of stopping it.

Dear future president of the United States of America,

Imagine a world in where people can’t protect themselves from muggings and break ins. Where one person can take out an entire crowed of people before the police can even show up. Scary isn't it? Gun laws, specifically concealed handgun laws, can make this a reality. Guns can protect people in dangerous situations , and gun free zones only disarm arm the innocent.Also,to top it off, police response time is tremendously high.

The thing is, guns can protect civilians in public situations.”Since 2007, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared from 4.6 million to over 12.8 million, and murder rates have fallen from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people to just 4.2, about a 25 percent drop, according to the report from the Crime Prevention Research Center.” (Howell)This shows that since more citizens are buying guns, the more they can protect themselves from dangerous criminals and stop crimes from happening.

This also destroys the argument that somehow more law abiding citizens with guns will lead to more crime.

Anti-gun activists will tell you that removing guns from an area will make it safer. In fact, gun free zones only disarm the innocent that are following the law.”In 1976, D.C. implemented a law that banned citizens from owning guns, as only police officers were allowed to carry firearms. Those who already owned guns were allowed to keep them only if they were disassembled or trigger-locked…. According to prosecutor Jeffrey Shapiro, the results were not good. Annual homicides rose from 188 in 1976 to 364 in 1988, and then increased even further to 454 in 1993.”(Bandler)These statistics only show that banning guns only takes them out of the hands of innocent civilians.

To top it all off police may not be able to respond in time to stop criminals.”According to American Police Beat, the average response time for an emergency call is 10 minutes. Atlanta has the worst response time with 11 to 12 minutes and Nashville comes in at a lightning speed of 9 minutes.”(Average police)This is alarming considering that a lot can happen in the span of ten minutes.You could take a shower even before the police arrive. So, in case the police aren’t able to show up in time guns are there to protect them.

Overall, gun laws, including concealed carry laws, are not for the benefit of America. Guns can protect people from people who are not following the law. Also taking into the account that places with more gun control and gun free zones have the highest murder rates. These places only make it easier for people who plan on breaking the law. Along with the fact that the average police response time is ten minutes, it’s easy to see that concealed handgun laws, along with others, are only harming America.We need to repeal gun laws and take down gun free zones in order to make America safe again.

Howell, Kellan. "Murder Rates Drop as Concealed Carry Permits Soar: Report." Washington Times. The Washington Times, 14 July 2015. Web. 04 Nov. 2016.

Bandler, Aaron. "7 Facts On Gun Crime That Show Gun Control Doesn't Work." Daily Wire. N.p., 28 July 2016. Web. 0

"Average-Police-Response-Time." Average-Police-Response-Time. N.p., 2016. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.4 Nov. 2016.