Allison S New Mexico

Homelessness In America

A growing issue...

I wish you the best of luck in your time in office. I write to you today to talk about the growing issues of homelessness in America. I come from Albuquerque, New Mexico. Our city's poverty rate is ranked fifth highest in the nation. I am lucky enough to have grown up with a roof over my head and food in my belly. Each day after the final bell rings I look forward to going home to clear my head and recharge for the next school day, but it breaks my heart to know many kids from even my own school don't have a home to go to.                                      

The solution should be simple right? Everybody should have a home, but that is easier said than done. As of January 2015, 564,708 people were experiencing homelessness, sleeping outside, in an emergency center, or in a transitional housing program. However, 33 states reported decreases in overall homelessness, while 16 states reported increases. A proven effective solution to homelessness has been housing-based solutions. Solutions such as Federal Housing assistance, permanent supportive housing, and "housing first". Affordable renting housing, targeted at homeless families and individuals, could give them the boost they need to thrive in our community. We can't neglect the people who are hurting in this country. 

Future President, I have hope for the future. I believe you have the power to make great change in this country. Please keep the people in mind in all the chaos of the world. 

Sincerely, Allison S