Mackie H. Virginia

Should Medical Marijuana be Legalized

Reasons why medical marijuana should be legalized in all 50 states of the U.S.A.

Should Medical Marijuana be legalized?

Dear next President,

If you were to ever be diagnosed with a sickness such as AIDS or Cancer wouldn’t you wanna try to do anything to help you feel better? How would you feel if there were to be something to holding you back from doing that? Well, tell me isn’t that what you’re doing to people with terminal illnesses by keeping medical marijuana illegal?

Everyone sees marijuana as just a drug but did you know that there are five hundred compounds that are in cannabis: eighty out of those five hundred are being used for medicine and science already? Cannabis isn’t just used to put you in a ,“high” state of mind ,it physically helps people who are sick ,and didn’t choose to be sick. Medical marijuana helps with chronic migraines and pains, easing nausea and vomiting, makes people who are undergoing chemotherapy and AID patients hungary again, eye pressure that comes with glaucoma, and many many more side effects from related mental and physical illnesses. If twentyfive out of our fifty states already choose to make marijuana a medical option; they're doing just fine why not get the other twentyfive on board too?

I have personally met people who suffer from anxiety, migraines, chronic back pains ,and even heart problems who have said they wish they would just make medical marijuana legal in our state, Virginia, because the medicines they are given to help them with these problems just cause more difficulties for them. That’s a problem right there if I would say so myself, don’t you think?

Not only is keeping medical marijuana illegal holding people back to further their options in feeling well ,but the medicine that is handed out for the pain is causing an even bigger problem at hand; prescription drug abuse. With all of the over counter drugs being handed out now a days has caused the rate of abuse of these drugs to increase. People die every year from overdosing while on pain medicine. Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of Drug Policy Alliance said: “Perhaps most important, new evidence now indicates that the proliferation of medical marijuana laws and dispensaries around the United States is strongly associated with fewer people dying from overdoses involving heroin and pharmaceutical opioids.” No one has ever overdosed on marijuana. Also ,by keeping medical cannabis illegal from the public who want to try this road are forced to uproot and leave their homes and families just to try to feel comfortable in their own skin because they have an illness that makes them so sick , tired, and in pain.

All I’m trying to say is that if half of our country thinks medical marijuana is safe to have than why can’t the other half join? It’s not your’s or any elses right to keep the medical field limited to people who want to try medical marijuana. We’re not the ones forced to deal with the sickness and pain from a terminally illness, they are, so shouldn’t you give them the right to choose. Give the sick people what they want and what they want is to have the freedom to choose medical marijuana. I know I am tired of seeing sick people being forced to have to deal the pain that comes with something as determinantal as cancer, schizophrenia, or even something as simple as not being able to sleep ,being pushed in a corner that they don’t wanna be in. Shouldn’t you be tired of it knowing that’s happening too? Legalize medical marijuana to this nation.

Yours truly,

11th grader at Jameswood High School….

Citation page:

"Top 10 Pros and Cons - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2016.

By House 96-51, by Senate 21-13. "25 Legal Medical Marijuana States and DC - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2016.

Twb. "Which States Are Voting On Marijuana Reform In November 2016?" The Weed Blog. N.p., 09 Oct. 2016. Web. 30 Oct. 2016.

James Wood High School

Concerned Colonels

Letters to the Next President by James Wood High's AP English 11 students