Ryan T. Iowa

Panda Endangerment

Dear Future President, Pandas are one of the cutest animals in the world, and they are endangered. Pandas have been on the endangered species list for about fifty years and are on the verge of getting off the extinction list. U.S. governments and the future president should encourage Chinese governments to put a restriction out that doesn't allow anybody to kill pandas for the next 10 years. With Pandas being as low as they are and as they were in recent years and with all the help they need. The U.S. president and U.S. Government needs to take a stand and help the WWF get pandas population rising even more than it is. As the future president of the United States I would like you to help with the pandas in China. Pandas have been endangered ever since 1980’s.According to Step Away From Extinction, “Giant pandas are no longer classified as endangered and they have been downgraded to vulnerable on the global species at risk of extinction list.” Vulnerable is still one of the worst kinds of endangerment classifications, but it’s a big step to getting them out of endangerment. Pandas should always be protected because of how cute they are and they don’t really do much harm. I am so glad pandas are beginning to increase in population and it should stay that way for a long time. Helping the pandas repopulate is one of the best things ever and the WWF and Union for the Conservation of Nature(IUCN) deserves a big thank you! Pandas are also a big help in growing bamboo forest because when they eat the bamboo some of the seeds fall out and are able to be regrown. By saving the pandas, you are also saving the other animals in the bamboo forest. Pandas are also a big help with Chinese residents near them, because the panda’s habitat is also important for the livelihoods of local communities, who use it for food, income, fuel for cooking and heating, and medicine. Pandas are a very well depended on in Chinese culture and those near by. It is very important to keep pandas alive because of all the things that they are helpful with. As Jiang Zeyin says in his article, A Victory For Pandas, “Pandas numbers have grown by 17% in the last 10 years and that means the conservation efforts are working. The wild panda population is on the rise and is now up to 1,864 pandas.” Pandas have gone from 1,114 in 1988 to 1,864 pandas in 2015. Surveys of pandas have been out ever since 1974, and over the years the surveys have gotten more accurate and show that the pandas are increasing. China also has 67 protected reserves and ⅔ of pandas live in them. Captive pandas have also doubled, going from 164 to 375. This all means the pandas are on the road to recovery, but will need greater help in the future because of the climate change. We can make sure the pandas stay on the path to recovery by helping them with whatever we can do. We can make donations to the World Wildlife Fund(WWF) who have been all over the panda conservation ever since they were created in 1961. You can also help by adopting a panda. What You Can Do to Help, “Panda tourism is also on the rise and the Chinese government and WWF are working on ways to reduce the impact on panda habitats by promoting ecotourism.” If pandas were to go extinct that would be bad because it could cause the extinction of bamboo forest then kill all the other animals in those areas. It could also hurt the people who rely on pandas for their income and things like that, that they need coming from bamboo. Things that were causing pandas to go extinct were, habitat destruction, Chinese population grows and that causes them to put houses up where the pandas live, and destruction is also led to food shortages. Another problem is climate change and that will take out around 35% of the panda bamboo habitat in the next 80 years. So as pandas are increasing for now, but are still considered vulnerable and on the edge of extinction, the U.S. should take a stand and help out the Chinese government with the pandas. With everyone trying to help with panda repopulation, I think pandas could even double their population in the next ten years if we do the right things to help get the job done. Savings pandas would also be saving a lot of resources that are used in everyday lives for other people. China has also made a huge effort over the past 30 years to promote panda breeding because the females only go into heat a couple of times a year based on the article called, Survival of The Cutest. As the President of the United States, I would like you to take a stand and put a word out to the world to help out with panda conservation and I would like you to help the Chinese governments, the WWF, and the IUCN to keep pandas alive as long as possible. Yours Sincerely, Ryan T. Moore

The endangerment of pandas in China.