Jacob M. Michigan

Minimum Wage Needs to be Raised

Big time fast food can afford to pay $15 an hour

Donald J. Trump, republican party nominee for president of the United States Of America. Then there is Hillary R. Clinton, democratic nominee for president. One of these two are going to be our next president, that is fact. American people cower in fear, and wonder what these two “questionable” nominees have in store for presidential plans. Hopefully,one can hope, one of these two can at least uphold constitutional rights, keep a nice, strong military, and really just fix America. They could start with wage rights, a growing issue in our country. The big business chains and massive fast food restaurants are getting away with paying minimum wages to their employees. When in reality these hard working people can't even afford health insurance. The minimum wage needs to be raised.

An average of 20,000-45,000 people die every year in the U.S alone from not being able to afford health care according to “Obamacarefacts.com” one of these cases is of Myrna De Los Santos, a 3rd shift McDonald's employee. This women could barely pay for heat and rent, she didn't even own a vehicle, she walked to work every day. When she wasn't working at Mcdonalds, she would also volunteer at the Harry Truman Museum to give tours. And at the end of every week, she would go to church on sunday. She died on august 27th, 2016.

After the death of Myrna, a group arose called “Stand up KC” and what they do is go to state capitals and protest for things like the wage raise, minority rights, etc. A friend who new Myrna was Fran Marion, who now actively participates in rallies and protests in hopes not to end up like her friend. “I’m devastated by the loss of my friend, but I’m also afraid for myself as a cashier at Popeyes who supports two children. Like Myrna, I have health troubles, including high blood pressure. But on $9.50 per hour, I can’t begin to afford the medicine to treat it¨ says Fran in the There are tens of thousands of people like Myrna and Fran all throughout america that die every year, and it's going to keep happening if nothing changes.

If minimum wage was raised, this issue would not be a reoccurring problem. If big fast food chains could pay there employees five more dollars an hour, those innocent hardworking people would stop dying. There is an article written by the former president and chief executive of Mcdonald's, Ed Rensi.“I worked for the company for three decades, and served as its US President for 13 years. I can assure you that a $15 minimum wage won’t spell the end of the brand” says Ed in the Forbes article “The ugly truth about a $15 minimum wage”. There former president said that they indeed can afford to pay more to their employees, but that would be more money out of there pockets, so they don't. If minimum wage was raised, people would live, and Mcdonald's could still thrive.

On Tuesday, November 8th, we will know who our president is, that is fact. We can hope as American citizens that whoever is our next president, that they can do as such little, as to uphold constitutional rights. That they can bring America to the top again, and we can all thrive as a country. We need minimum wage raised, and on tuesday someone has the power to make that happen. I hope that you read this and really consider for a second, how many lives you could save by doing one thing. Let's fix America.

Jacob Martin 

ELA 10- Vickers

English Language Arts 10 A