Amelia G. Michigan

Rape and Human Trafficking

Rape and human trafficking are major issues in today's world.

September 22, 2016

I hope by the time you enter office this issue will no longer be depicted as an immense problem that this world carries; however, that would take a miracle. According to Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN), today 17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted rape. Rape is a huge problem, as well as human trafficking. As stated by the U.S. Department of Justice, 82% of human trafficking involves the use of sexual exploitation. Not only across the globe, but in America women face the fear of human trafficking and rape--a problem that needs to be addressed. Not only the president, but the nation as a whole, needs to work together to help minimize human trafficking and rape.

Today, “97% of rapists never spend a day in jail” according to TIME magazine. That alarming statistic indicates that all but three of one hundred rapists are free to roam the streets, not taking responsibility for their crimes. The United States needs to take action to stop rapists, by not giving them lenient sentences. Brock Turner, known as a former Stanford swimmer, raped an unconscious woman after a party. Turner was convicted and the judge of the case, Judge Persky, sentenced him to just six months in prison, but for good behavior he was released in a horrendously small, three months. With judges like Persky, it is no surprise that only 3% of rapists are convicted for their crimes.

In America, human trafficking is a high contributor to rape. As stated by CNN, Atlanta's illegal sex industry brings in nearly $290 million a year, which makes it the highest illegal money maker. I hope in the future you, president, can help eliminate human trafficking, crackdown on rapists and give consequences to judges, who let them off easily.

Future president, I hope by the time you enter office, human trafficking and rape will be a very little burden America carries. I hope that this problem is not overlooked, but instead set as a goal to cease. While a perfect world may be unobtainable, there are ways to make it better and ways to help solve human trafficking and rape. As CNN mentions, people can join projects to help house and aid those who were involved in human trafficking back on their feet. If people know about rape or human trafficking they can always report it and help support victims. Together, America can truly be made great again.