Miah K. Michigan

Stop Cyberbullying Today

Children in our society are being cyberbullied everyday and most of the time they end up committing suicide because they are bullied so bad.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

Bullying in our society has gone on for way too long. I know that bullying will always be around, but I believe with all our effort we can change cyber bullying. Cyber bullying harms so many teens everyday. Over 3.2 million students are victims of cyberbullying each year. There has to be something that we can do to try to limit cyberbullying. When a student gets bullied online they don't usually report it. One of the reasons they don’t report it is because they are scared.

The number of suicides that happen every year is a rapidly increasing number. According to https://afsp.org 42,773 Americans die by suicide each year. Every twenty-five attempted suicides, one is successful. The number of suicides go up every year. The suicide number could go way down if we actually do something about cyber bullying and possibly do something about bullying in schools.Cyberbullying causes not only psychological stress but it also causes emotional and physical stress.According to www.fundforcivility.org people who are bullied have a higher risk of being depressed than a person who isn't bullied. Some symptoms of people with depression may include some of the following: Increased feeling of sadness and loneliness, changes in sleep and eating patterns, loss of interest in activities and more health complaints. Students who are bullied are more likely to drop out of school, or get bad grades and have to repeat that grade.

What causes people to participate in cyberbullying? According www.tameshaveasley-cyberbullying.blogspot.com, a lot of students bully because they their peers to like them. A lot of the time people participate in bullying is for revenge. Sometimes it's to boost their own ego and to make themselves feel good. A lot of the time the bully has a very low self-esteem. A lot of students bully because they their peers to like them. A lot of parents who see their kids bullying another child think it's just “part of being a kid.” It's not about being a kid, it's a serious problem that needs to be taken care of. Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in 4,400 deaths per year. Some parents don't realize that bullying plays a huge part in suicide among teens. In the last year about 6,078 suicides have happened in the age group of 15 to 24. According to a study by ABC news over 30,000 students stay home from school everyday due to the fear of being bullied.

My friend got bullied online for a long time. He was scared to tell someone because this person wouldn't just harass him online, he would get harassed at school and at home. The person who did all the bullying just kept making my friend feel like he didn't belong here on Earth. My friend tried to commit suicide multiple times because they kept telling him to go kill himself. No matter what I did or tried to do, nothing worked.After two years of him being bullied online, at home and at school, he finally had enough of it. He was broken and couldn't be fixed. His mom called me after I hadn't talked to him in two days. She told me to sit down and that it was important. She said ¨He´s gone!¨ I sat on the couch in shock, thinking this to myself this isn't real, this can't be happening. For months I tried not to think about what had happened, but everyday on the way home from the bus I would pass by his house. He was my neighbor. I would just stare at the front yard and remember all the things we used to play. We played mainly made up games but we always had fun. Half of the time I cried myself to sleep because I lost a friend who meant a lot to me. Now I am left with just a memory of him. I meet him in sixth grade and we were friends till eighth grade. I went to his funeral and it was the hardest thing ever. I never imagined that this could or would ever happen to one of my friends. I miss him so much and I wish he had never got harassed.

Some people will say that cyberbullying is no big deal because they think that the cyberbullies have the right to say what they want. Others will say that cyberbullying is a big deal because they have been bullied online or saw a friend being bullied. The definition of a bully is someone who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker. Most people bully others online because no one knows who it is. Should cyberbullying be stopped and is it okay? According to www.debate.org 44% of people say that yes, cyberbullying is not okay and that it should be stopped, but 56% of people say no, cyberbullying is not a problem and it does not have to be stopped. According to www.teensafe.com 87% of todays youth have witnessed cyberbullying.

I strongly believe that we can change online bullying in our society by reading what we type before we post something hurtful or something that can make someone offended. If we just read before we post it can make a huge difference in the world, online and offline. A lot of students think that it's okay to speak before we think when in reality it's not. We need to think before we speak. When someone posts something that is hurtful, it needs to addressed. We can't just keep sweeping the bullies under the rug. The bullies like when no one tries to stop them because they like hurting people and they like getting a reaction out of them. Bullies think that if they don't get stopped once, then they can continue to bully someone for as long as they want because no one is ever going to stop them. We need to put an end to cyberbullying and bullying offline. It's not okay for students to commit suicide just because they don't feel safe in our society anymore. According to Proverbs 12:25 “An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.” This is true because when a child is being bullied they feel anxious and depressed all the time, but if someone is nice to them and they lift them up then they feel more happy and less depressed.

In conclusion I strongly believe that bullying of any type is not okay because of how many students take their lives because of bullying. Students don't deserve to not be able to get on social media because they fear they are going to get harassed online. If a child fears to go on social media then that's a problem and we need to fix it. I hope that whoever becomes president will change cyberbullying. I believe that the next president will change cyberbullying and let students who fear social media be able to go on social media without being scared.  

ELA 10- Vickers

English Language Arts 10 A