Micaya New York

Police Brutality

Police brutality is a big issue in the United states. Something has to be done. People do not trust the law anymore.

It has come to my attention by my local news outlet, that police brutality has become a big issue in our nation. There are riots and protests in the streets of multiple different cities and states. These shootings are becoming more and more prevalent. This is a racial issue; people of color are being murdered by white policemen. Racism has always been an issue, but it had been less prevalent over the years, until Donald Trump announced he was running for president. Also, people did not have cell phones with cameras. Police brutality did exist before, but people were not as bold. Mr. Trump’s followers were all for white supremacy. I am glad he is not in office and you are. I know you want to help all people and become one united nation. This is stopping that from happening, many innocent lives are being taken--all because of racism. In an article printed by the San Francisco Bay View newspaper, written by journalist Malaika Kambon, it explains how Oscar Grant III was shot and killed on January 1 2009. Oscar Grant was only 22 years old. He was riding the subway with his friends and his girlfriend when people started to attack him and his friends with racist comments. The police were called and the train stopped, but it was Grant who was forced off the train.

There were two officers, and both were threatening to taser or kill Grant and his friends. One of the police officers got Grant on his knees and shot him in the back. He died the next morning. People were outraged, and the police officer was charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Many think the police are just doing their civic duty. Like the FBI, they believe, if they can not find a record of anything, then a crime was not committed. The police say they had no other choice because they were being threatened. These are the type of people stopping America from truly achieving greatness.

Two journalists by the names John Wihbey and Leighton Walter Kille wrote an article about police brutality. They write for a website called Journalist Resource, and, in the article, it explains how numerous innocent people had died by the hand of law enforcement. For example, in Staten Island, NY in July of 2014, there was the death of Eric Garner. Teenager Michael Brown was shot by officer Darren Wilson. Additionally, Tamir Rice was shot and killed in Cleveland, Ohio. He was twelve years old and playing with a toy gun. The police officer claims he did not see the orange tip on the gun barrel. All these people are gone because the police feel they do not have to follow rules. Statistics show that an estimated 1.4% had force used or were threatened if they had contact with the police. They also show that people of color , as well as Hispanic people, do not trust the police. They have very little faith in them, they do not believe in law enforcement. The statistics come from Journalist Resource.

In another article written in late 2015, called ‘“No Bullying”. It explains how police are trying to earn back the people’s trust. That is the first step to fixing the problem. People need to work together to fix the problem. They started community policing. It is when a police officer is sent to a community to become familiar with it. To get to know the people there, and become known to the people. This is good, but not good enough. Body cameras need to be enforced and anyone who is caught doing anything wrong should be taken off the force. Body cameras would have to be mandated to try and help regulate law enforcement.

There are good police officers, but they do not get the recognition they deserve. They are blocked by all the crooked police, they need to be stopped. People need to feel safe again. People should not fear the law, they should feel protected. Please President Clinton, help make the people feel safe again.

Micaya