cidney California

Drinking age should be 18

I wrote about how the drinking age should be lowered to 18.

Dear Mr. or Mrs. president,

My name is cidney lowry, a student at Minarets high school, and I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 for the reasons below. The drinking age has been the same since July 17, 1984, you have to be 21 to have any alcohol. President Ronald Reagan passed the Minimum Drinking Age Act in July 1984 due to the crazy amount of drunk drivers in the 70s. The drinking age being changed to 21 didn't stop “Teen drinking” or “Drinking & driving”.

First reason i think the drinking age should be 18 is If you're allowed to join the military at the age of 18 and fight for your country, then you should be allowed to drink. Yes, alcohol may not be good for you but it is their choice what they want to do with their bodies. I mean they are considered adults so they can choose what they want. And if you are allowed to vote for the next leader of the united states at 18 you should be able to have a drink.

Second reason i think the drinking age should be 18, Many adults believe that young adults are not mature enough to drink, it doesn't matter whether you are 17, 21, or 30 it still hits you the same. And if people are worried about if we aren't mature enough to handle a drink at the age of 18 what makes you think we are mature enough to own a house, be able to adopt a baby, get a tattoo. Obviously they think we can handle everything else and if you are able to do all those things at 18 you should be able to have a drink.

The third reason I think the drinking age should be 18 is because when you go to college there is such an influence on the freshmen who are usually 18-19 by the seniors who are usually 20-21 or older, and when the freshmen go to events where it's held by the seniors and everyone around the 18-19 year olds are drinking the young adults are most likely going to rebel and give drinking a shot. And if the drinking age was 18 the amount of college students that get in trouble with the law because of underage drinking would go down so the kids won't get in trouble for drinking